hf1

I'm desperate for sleep :(

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: I'm desperate for sleep :(

Postby little1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:58 pm

I have a sleep disorder so understand how debilitating sleep deprivation is :hug:

Again i would say put him in his own room, DD slept so much better once we moved her. I continued to BF but stopped feeding in the night, she just drank more before bed and in the morning. your body will adjust and produce the right amount of milk at the right time x

Hope you get sorted soon x x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:24 pm

You have my complete sympathy, honey. :hug: :hug: DD was exactly like this. I nearly lost my mind. I was sooooo exhauseted ALL the time. And for me, with DH working all the time and my family two hours away, there was no real possibility of a break.

I was so reluctant to move DD into her own room. I didn't think it would help and the only positive I could see about her being up all night was that she was at least getting plenty of breastmilk then. But I was deperate so we did try it. I read the 'No Cry Sleep Solution' too which also gave us some pointers.

It gradually got better. Being in her own room did help, I think. DH was convinced that she could smell my milk, and if I was right there, she just saw me as an all-night-all-you-can-eat buffet. By the time she was 10 months or so she was only waking to breastfeed a couple of times a night. And she started sleeping through - sometimes- at around a year old.

Don't worry about your supply - even if he startes sleeping through, as long as you are feeding on demand during the day, you will produce enough for him.

:hug: :hug: again. It will get better!

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:26 pm

If you were interested in the 'No Cry Sleep Solution', our copy is still knocking around I think. I'd be happy to lend it to you. xx

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Hugs. Could have written this too. I only survive by going to bed when nathan does at around 8.30. Last night he was asleep at 9 and awake at 1.30, 3,5.45 and 7. Saying that though he has been a bit better lately and we've had the odd 5 or even 6 hours in one go. I keep telling myself it
'll get better after 15 months of broken sleep. I haven't tried nathan in his own room yet and we are still feeding too.he's never had a night away from me. I have a lot more sympathy for my mum now when she says i didn't sleep until I was 4. Hope u get some decent sleep soon.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:49 am

Havent had time to read all the replies, but i really sympathize. My DD still isnt sleeping well, can wake between 1-3 times a night, more if unwell and generally sleeps no more than 4hrs at a time, although it is getting slowly better. Going in her own room at 7m really helped although she never slept in our bed, I wish she would sometimes! We have just stopped BFing (13m), which was really hhard and stopped a bit before I wanted to really, but i think it has helped with the sleep a little. I would try him in his room. If it doesnt work, and he doesnt sleep, nothing lost! Someone said to me once (refereing to BFing) 'would you sleep if your bed was next to your fave restaurant, open all night and free?!!' Make sure you have a comy chair in there for feeding and a cozy blanket. Can I also recommend a book? Its not advice book at all, but thoughts and experiences from clinical practice from someone who I have alot of respect for. its called 'through the night' by dilys daws. you can order books from your library for a small fee if they dont have it in stock, or pm me and ill try and photocopy a chapter and send it to you!

Em x

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks for the replies, when I wrote that post I was just at the onset of getting flu or some sort of annoying virus :roll: so my strength wasn't upto much! My mum took him and Molly on Sat night, so I got a good sleep, especially since I was actually too ill to get out of bed so I couldn't sneak up to watch TV :giggle: feeling slightly better now, will hopefully be moving the wee man into his own room soon as he *should* sleep better there. He was up twice in the night for mum but all she had to do was pat his back and he went to sleep, so he obviously didn't need fed! Only problem was that he was in her bed, I'm not sure how he'll feel about being expected to be in a cot all night :roll:

stormflowers wrote:If you were interested in the 'No Cry Sleep Solution', our copy is still knocking around I think. I'd be happy to lend it to you. xx

Thats very kind of you to offer, although I just ordered it last week so FC it gets here soon! Our local library doesn't seem to have any "non-Gina" books :roll:

ems101 wrote:Can I also recommend a book? Its not advice book at all, but thoughts and experiences from clinical practice from someone who I have alot of respect for. its called 'through the night' by dilys daws. you can order books from your library for a small fee if they dont have it in stock, or pm me and ill try and photocopy a chapter and send it to you!

I'll ask in our library for this one, thank you!

ems101 wrote:Someone said to me once (refereing to BFing) 'would you sleep if your bed was next to your fave restaurant, open all night and free?!!'

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: Very true, I guess I'd do the same as my LO and fall asleep on the plate!

Maybe us mums will get some sleep in 20-odd years when the kids leave home...

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Pleased you feel a little better. Sleep deprivation is the worst form of torture. Can you have his cot in your bedroom for a week or so while you sort out the other room and that way he'll have a chance to get used to the cot? My friend's LO refused to sleep in her cot when she was around 6 or 7 months and she ended up putting a futon in her bedroom and stayed there until she was settled, even if it meant all night and then slowly and gradually remove herself....it worked! Some babies really do sleep better in their own room. FC you get more sleep very soon :hug:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:17 pm

:hug: :hug: Jas was the same for the first few months, her sleep improved dramatically when we moved her to her own room and put a few dummies in her cot. I also night weaned her and she started to feed properly in the day instead.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:33 pm

I night weaned Ruairidh at 11 months as I was the worst mother in the world in the day time due to long term lack of sleep. I was snappy and shouty and I hated what it had made me become.

He was s thumb sucker til 5.5months so I reluctantly introduced a dummy as he didnt feed a whoe lot in the night but needed to suckle to sleep. I put teething gel on it so he'd actually suck it to start with :oops: then after a few days he was fine with it. I also moved him into his own room as he was waaay to big for the crib and I struggled to sleep properly with him in with me and OH. I was more a part time cosleeper in that if I felt they were asleep well enough to be moved Id do it.

I also found sleep promotes sleep. I got his daytime naps lasting longer and nights became much easier as he wasnt so restless and overtired. Now he sleeps around for 2 hours in the afternoon on the school run. At 8 months he had an hour or more in the morning normally 2 hours after he got up then another 1-2 hours in the afternoon.
I hope you get some sleep soon x x

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler