hf1

Red wine sauce for children

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Red wine sauce for children

Postby ems101 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:53 am

Do you think its ok for DD (13m)to have lamb cooked in redwine? I think the alcohol will be cooked off, but not sure. Also my hubs little sisters (11, 9) are coming for lunch, will it be ok for them?

Thanks!!

Em x

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Red wine sauce for children

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:55 am

i think it's fine - i always put wine in our risotto and give it to the kids too, i just make sure that it's really been boiling during cooking and not just simmering.

might be wise to tell the parents of the other kids, and let them make the choice. ive told parents before about the risotto and they freak a bit, but when i point out that it should all be boiled off they're fine with it. better than them tasting it and freaking then.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 am

All the info I have found on how long it takes alcohol to fully burn off says at least 2 hours at simmer :shock: Apparently there is always some alcohol left in the sauce so I suppose you have to weigh it up yourself. :-?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:48 am

I've never looked into how long it takes for the alcohol to burn off but I use it in food for the boys - I do let it simmer for a while though. Also, the amount of alcohol that would actually enter the blood stream is tiny, much like a bf mamma having 1 glass of wine - it's negligable (sp)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:11 am

Shaunie wrote:I've never looked into how long it takes for the alcohol to burn off but I use it in food for the boys - I do let it simmer for a while though. Also, the amount of alcohol that would actually enter the blood stream is tiny, much like a bf mamma having 1 glass of wine - it's negligable (sp)

I would agree with that but everyone has to decide for themselves I suppose. I certainly wouldn't be making something with alcohol in it if I was having a reformed alcoholic over though :shock:

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:23 am

We're having beef in red wine tonight, all my children will be having it too.

I add wine or cider to a few dishes and they've always had it, but I wouldn't serve it to other peoples children without asking for their thoughts on it first.

The alcohol will be cooked off and in the case of something's like a Risotto the wine is cooked down at the beginning but its only cooked for half an hour at most and you can taste that the wine is cooked, it doesn't have an acidic taste but the flavours cone through...its just a glass and as its cooked and always split between six people (plus leftovers) the amount of alcohol would be tiny.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 am

monsterm wrote:
Shaunie wrote:I've never looked into how long it takes for the alcohol to burn off but I use it in food for the boys - I do let it simmer for a while though. Also, the amount of alcohol that would actually enter the blood stream is tiny, much like a bf mamma having 1 glass of wine - it's negligable (sp)

I would agree with that but everyone has to decide for themselves I suppose. I certainly wouldn't be making something with alcohol in it if I was having a reformed alcoholic over though :shock:

:giggle: no, I would not either but I guess most of us would know which friends are not allowed to drink. Like already said, I would inform your guests you plan to use alcohol so any objections could be raised then.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks ladies. I dont think im going to risk it. Ive never cooked this dish before so i dont know how strong it will be at the end. With the older children id probably be fine with it if they were my own, but not the baby.

Em x

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:31 pm

DH once made Irish stew and put 2 whole cans of Guiness into it, dumped everything in and cooked it. When it was ready several hours later, it still tasted fairly alcoholic and we put it down to there being too much Guiness. Next time he made it, I made him boil the Guiness for 10 minutes first, then make the stew, and it certainly tasted much better, so i wonder if that maybe made a difference? Whiskey and brandy, for example, would be flamed so as to cook out the alcohol quickly in a dish that might not otherwise be cooked for long enough to do it itself. I'm no expert though, but I'm happy to put wine into family dishes anyway.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler