hf1

Allergies - How do you know & what do you do? Help!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Allergies - How do you know & what do you do? Help!

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Ladies,

I think it is possible that Rufus is allergic to Cherry Tomatoes ... now I've not heard of this as an allergy before, but when he eats them the skin on his chin, around his mouth & his nose if he gets food on his nose goes very red... normal tomatoes I've given him once before raw & no problem & in cooked food normal tomatoes seem fine too... I only use organic fruit/veg and wash everything throughly ... could this be an allergy? If so what do I do next, I was thinking I need tio find out asap as am I right in thinking reactions get worse over time? I don't want him to be ill :(

Thanks in advance for any help!

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Allergies - How do you know & what do you do? Help!

Postby Sally » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

awww poor Rufus :hug:
it could be the natural acid in them tomatoes are quite a common allergy and it may just make his skin red and blotchy
how long after does it last for ?

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:54 pm

princessliana wrote:awww poor Rufus :hug:
it could be the natural acid in them tomatoes are quite a common allergy and it may just make his skin red and blotchy
how long after does it last for ?

Ah? I've heard of strawberries, but not tomatoes. I wondered if it was just because they are acidic or if it was an allergy? He doesn't seem distressed at all and LOVES tomatoes as do I so would be sad if he couldn't have them - it's normally gone within 20mins or so

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby girlinleeds » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Pippa reacts to all fresh tomatoes like this her consultant said it's because of the histamine in them, he did advise us to avoid fresh tomato because she has other allergies, I guess it depends how much it worried you weather you avoid it, pippa can eat cooked and processed toms though xx

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby girlinleeds » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:00 pm

Just to add he did say it wasn't an allergy as such just a normal reaction to the amount of histamine in them xx

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:03 pm

girlinleeds wrote:Pippa reacts to all fresh tomatoes like this her consultant said it's because of the histamine in them, he did advise us to avoid fresh tomato because she has other allergies, I guess it depends how much it worried you weather you avoid it, pippa can eat cooked and processed toms though xx

Thanks Hun, I won't rush to the Dr about it then, but will take him in the new year & just get it checked out to be sure ... We seem to get Cherry Toms most weeks in our Veg Box & DH and Jack won't eat raw toms so Rufus & I normally use them at lunchtimes, nice & easy, no prep (apart from halving them) and he seems to love them. I just thought it was odd that the same doesn't happen with normal toms? More concentrated in cherry toms maybe?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Summer used to go like this with strawberries, but never seemed unhappy or in any pain so we just carried on giving them to her, by 18 months the reaction stopped.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Kyle used to get the blotchy rash round his mouth from oranges, strawberries and kiwi. He will no longer eat any of them as he says they make his mouth stingy. The citrus and strawberry has turned out to be an allergy but not a bad one.

Ruairidh gets a rashy face from kiwi and so do I. Ive never known though if its just the acidity of them or an allergy but it clears once ive washed his face and is fine after it with nothing major in the nappy dept.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:19 pm

Isabelle was like this and Grace can be too - we've stopped giving the girls oranges as they don't just upset their skin they make them quite itchy all over...
Isabelle was no tomato for a while as was Grace as being quite acidic it's no good for reflux...
Kiwi and strawberry are others we know as good suspects for facial rashes unfortunately, and nappy rash too!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler