hf1

Worried about speech

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Worried about speech

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Ruairidh still hardly says anything other than "yeah". He does animal noises but no mama, dada or anything else. I read to him loads and he seems to have a certain level of understanding but I think he is a bit behind. I do body parts etc with him and he only knows nose, hair and feet. I keep reading his BB on BC and there are kids counting and doing colours and he cant even do mama :( My ds1 was slower with speech too but Im pretty sure by this age he even had mama and dada and by 2 he knew loads of words.

Do you think its worth going to the HV about it?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Worried about speech

Postby tanya » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:34 pm

How much talking do the other 2 do for him? I mean if you as Roo a direct question do K & K answer for him?

From what I can gather, it's quite usual for subsequent children (particularly boys) to be slower on speech as the older siblings talk for them.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 pm

ermmm pippa can't count or do colours and only knows nose and tum tum as a body part, was talking to mum about this today and my little sister didn't speak a word till 2 but then you couldn't shut her up, my older sister didn't speak for ages either (but then it's my mum so take with a pinch of salt). we use to talk for my little sister though so she didn't need to, everyone develops differently so i wouldn't worry too much, it is hard not to compare lo though :hug: :hug:
if you are worried a call to your hv wouldn't do any harm, but i don't think there bothered until a baby turns two anyway
xx

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Evan will be two in march - his speech is alot further behind than his brothers at this age...they don't speak for him as such but he doesn't have to talk they just do it automatically :-?

Some days it worries me and others I think hel catch up in his own time. He does no animal sounds or body parts. We have mum, daddy, Ryley, caden, nanny, ba (bye) d (dog) more, no, yeh and there. Im really trying not to worry until he hits two, but your not alone :hug: they all catch up eventually x

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:45 pm

If I ask him a direct question he just says "yeah" :giggle:

They tend not to answer for him. Im trying to avoid questions with a yes or no anwer so if I say what do you want or show me what you want he rolls on the floor in a tantrum :roll: :(

The last time I saw the HV he was 16months and she was asking what he was saying and said if he was saying nothing more in a few months then she'd refer him. Ive never had to go to speech therapy with the others so part of me is sceptical at how they will get him to talk!

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Aoife barely says owt but i have put it down to her sisters talking for her....she is vocal but not as vocal as I recall any of my others being nor as vocal as some others her age

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Roo just grunts. He rarely babbles anymore either and until he started walking he had a few words (or what sounded like words as he used them in context). We used to have hiya, didder (dinner), joosh (juice) and that.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Could he have a problem with his hearing?

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:58 pm

He responds fine when you speak to him or call his name but will defo get it checked again just incase. He also passed his newborn screening fine.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler