hf1

Reoccurring dreams

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Reoccurring dreams

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:58 am

I just wondered whether anyone else's toddler has a reoccurring dream? Iris has been able to talk about her dreams for a few months now, but the same one seems to crop up time and time again. I think that she is dreaming the same thing over and over, rather than just describing one dream she had once, if that makes sense? She doesn't seem especially troubled by this dream. And the reason I think it is a reoccurring one is that there are subtle changes some days. (She dreams about spiders. Sometimes the spiders are different sizes or different colours. And DH and I might feature in the dream, too, and have our own spiders.) She just seems quite young to be having reoccurring dreams. :-?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Reoccurring dreams

Postby clothmama » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:33 am

I remember having recurring dreams as a child - not sure at what age they started. I remember them from around 5 I guess. 1 being a murderer in the park opposite where I lived chasing me and the other being in a tsunami!

I wouldn't worry too much as she isn't being bothered by them and is happy talking about them. Is she scared of spiders?

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:44 am

I had reoccurring dreams, too, but not until I was about 10, I think? The actual dreams don't seem to bother her at least, but she is a bit funny about spiders. Definitely something she's picked up from daycare. :nono: I'm terrified of them, so I'm trying very, very hard not to pass on a complex. I always make a point of telling her that spider's webs are pretty, for example. I'm just not sure how to handle the actual spider situation. I don't want to tell her that there's nothing to worry about, as I want her to show some caution. (We were at a friend's place a couple of weeks ago and she got a little too close for comfort to a redback.) But neither do I want her being petrified. Not sure how Aussies educate children about spiders, really? :oops: Any tips?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:56 am

We were just always told not to touch them and tell a grown up. I seem to remember being able to identify a redback (doh that is pretty obvious :doh: :giggle: ) and a funnelweb pretty early on so I guess that is a good first step. Also as you are in Sydney therefore high funnelweb land make sure you keep your yard clear of things like log piles, piles of bricks, logs etc as that is the sort of place they will like to make a home and in my mind they are the scariest of the spiders.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:33 pm

No advice on the dreams but

Soupdragon wrote: Not sure how Aussies educate children about spiders, really? :oops: Any tips?

I have an abject horror of spiders (that's the REAL reson I moved to London :giggle: ) but we were always taught to keep our distance (something I never had trouble with :wink: ), NEVER touch and to get an adult.

We also learned to be able to identify redbacks, trapdoors and funnel webs (living in Sydney) quite young. I'd second Tory's advice about keeping the yard clear of piles and also making sure any sheds are tidy.

It's also good to know what first aid is needed in case of a spider / snake bite (pressure bandage and immobilisation), but there have only been about 140 confirmed funnel web bites in the last 80 years, only 10-20% of bites produce a toxic reaction and there have been no deaths since the use of anti venom was introduced.
Not sure if that is helpful :-?

Return to Baby and Toddler