hf1

Q. for anyone who had big (ish) baby 9lb+

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Q. for anyone who had big (ish) baby 9lb+

Postby charlibunny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Also really regretting my XS purchases now. Luckily the 10 xs i already had cost no more than £20 but i have 1 D&F and 3 OWW in xs on the way. Maybe i just won't use them and sell them on...

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Annabel wasn't huge although she would have been 9lb if I'd gone full term I think (8lb 1oz at 37.5 weeks) she lost 1lb during the first week though so I had to send hubby out to buy some newborn sleep suits as everything we had was too big (I only bought 0-3 months as I was convinced I was having a big baby :giggle:

I figure too big is better than too small though, the one thing you can be sure is that they'll grow, and they spend so much of the early days asleep anyway that they can be wrapped in blankets if you need more warmth rather than buying loads of newborn stuff.

I got most of our small stuff from NCT nearly new sales, it's worn for such a short time that it's normally in great condition :wink:

We hired the extra small cloth nappies from the local nappy network - it was £6 a week and was definitely cheaper than buying - we'll do that again next time - I think it was 3 weeks until we could start using the BTP nappies we had bought.

I've heard bigger babies are easier to birth as they can help themselves along more (stronger muscles) and also because your body doesn't have to contract as far to squeeze them along the birth canal - I don't know if that's true but I certainly had a very easy labour with Annabel - I didn't even have to push as gravity did all the work for me :wine:

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm

charlibunny wrote:Also really regretting my XS purchases now. Luckily the 10 xs i already had cost no more than £20 but i have 1 D&F and 3 OWW in xs on the way. Maybe i just won't use them and sell them on...

If ye do want to sell the xs i may be interested.... :wink: Shane we're both having boys as i had so many Next sleepsuits from Elsie....

Also a shame i didn't know they were so pricey & hard to get there as i could've picked you some up in the sale here as there were loads... :-?

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:24 pm

peachy.moo wrote:
charlibunny wrote:Also really regretting my XS purchases now. Luckily the 10 xs i already had cost no more than £20 but i have 1 D&F and 3 OWW in xs on the way. Maybe i just won't use them and sell them on...

If ye do want to sell the xs i may be interested.... :wink: Shane we're both having boys as i had so many Next sleepsuits from Elsie....

Also a shame i didn't know they were so pricey & hard to get there as i could've picked you some up in the sale here as there were loads... :-?

Your joking i went to two diff stores at 8am and they had new baby. That's it :shock:

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Miss_Purple wrote:Annabel wasn't huge although she would have been 9lb if I'd gone full term I think (8lb 1oz at 37.5 weeks) she lost 1lb during the first week though so I had to send hubby out to buy some newborn sleep suits as everything we had was too big (I only bought 0-3 months as I was convinced I was having a big baby :giggle:

I figure too big is better than too small though, the one thing you can be sure is that they'll grow, and they spend so much of the early days asleep anyway that they can be wrapped in blankets if you need more warmth rather than buying loads of newborn stuff.

I got most of our small stuff from NCT nearly new sales, it's worn for such a short time that it's normally in great condition :wink:

We hired the extra small cloth nappies from the local nappy network - it was £6 a week and was definitely cheaper than buying - we'll do that again next time - I think it was 3 weeks until we could start using the BTP nappies we had bought.

I've heard bigger babies are easier to birth as they can help themselves along more (stronger muscles) and also because your body doesn't have to contract as far to squeeze them along the birth canal - I don't know if that's true but I certainly had a very easy labour with Annabel - I didn't even have to push as gravity did all the work for me :wine:

Lets hope he is 9lb and a go to the loo and he pops out then :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm

charlibunny wrote:
peachy.moo wrote:

Your joking i went to two diff stores at 8am and they had new baby. That's it :shock:

We're only a small enough area, so the 2 Next stores we had were brimming with NB through to 9-12mths stuff!!!

If i'm in again & they still happen to have any, i'll pick them up- they'll always be used!!

Mothercare still had loads of their baby stuff half price & i only managed to get there on Sunday!!

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:35 pm

think it depends on how they are "big" ie- short and rounder all over, or long and skinny-ish

ryan was 8lb 5oz but very long. Newborn lasted 2 weeks before they were too short, but he was (and is) skinny in the body so 0-3 things seemed to swamp him around the waist. certain brands were worse for this too- Next was one of them that was always too short and wide for him! Natalie too as she was very skinny.
we had more luck with the Mini Mode (not sure how the new Boots stuff compares?), M&S and Mothercare ranges for sleepsuits as they were longer and slimmer in the body.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:35 pm

That's a laugh i went to Mothercare friday and they had bob all. Not even the snowsuit full price i wanted. Grrrr. I have No 3-6 months sleepsuits, a fair few 0-3 and a few 0-1 months. I do have some that are non next but i dnt like them :lol:

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm

e586 wrote:think it depends on how they are "big" ie- short and rounder all over, or long and skinny-ish

ryan was 8lb 5oz but very long. Newborn lasted 2 weeks before they were too short, but he was (and is) skinny in the body so 0-3 things seemed to swamp him around the waist. certain brands were worse for this too- Next was one of them that was always too short and wide for him! Natalie too as she was very skinny.
we had more luck with the Mini Mode (not sure how the new Boots stuff compares?), M&S and Mothercare ranges for sleepsuits as they were longer and slimmer in the body.

My babies are never long really, with a 5"3 mummy and a 5"5 daddy they have no hope :hohoho: :hohoho:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler