hf1

Bath time so stressful

My avatar
teresat
Clothie
Clothie

Bath time so stressful

Postby teresat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:24 pm

My 6 month old little boy hates a bath. I dunno what else to try its so stressful for us all that we have actually put off bathing him for days! I've tried making warmer making it cooler he will splash a little bit if sat up but I can't wash his sat up and after 2 mins of splashing or I lay him down all hell breaks loose. Bathed him tonight and my mil came round and couldn't believe I was bathing him he screams so much then holds his breath to scream again he does that til he's out and dressed but he loves rolling around in the nude if I just strip him off. Just don't know what to do x x

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Bath time so stressful

Postby Amanda » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:41 pm

I wouldn't bother trying to lie him down, just let him sit up and enjoy being in the bath while you use a cloth to wash him. If he's only happy for a few minutes then just have very quick baths, at that age the only bits that get mucky are nappy area, face and hands so there's no need for a long bath. In time you might be able to lie him down but neither of mine like it particularly. I just bathed them sitting up. We did have our share of screaming when I lay them down to wash their hair but now they just tip their heads back and I wash that sitting up too.

Stressy bath times aren't fun, especially as we always want it to be part of a quiet wind down before bed, but it won't last forever.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 pm

I had the same trouble with my oldest, she hated to lie down, so as Amanda says don t bother fighting. My daughter at the age of 3 will now lie her head back for me to wash her hair but has only done that in the last 4 months! A good ole flannel to wash hands face and body, and a wash of bottom before they get out does the trick. Good luck xxx

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Oh another thought. Try to give him a quick wash and out before he starts getting upset if you can so he remembers the positive bit and you never know he might start to protest at having to get out so soon!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:37 am

william used to be like that too and we switched to showering with him soooo much easier. We tried again in the last few months and he now loves bathtime.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:10 am

Another thing you could try is only having about 2 inches of water to lie down in - I did that with mine from quite tiny and they just loved it as they could kick and be free without the restraints of nappies / clothes / being held.

I'd go the only sitting up though to start with - as pp's have said you dont' need to lie them down and no point making a huge thing of it that could then carry on for a long time. Good luck and try to relax as your LO will pick up if you are stressing about bath time too. :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 am

We had the same problem but got a bath seat from tesco and ony did baths twice a week for a while and he srarted liking them again.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:18 am

What about trying the shower? My lot have loved the shower from a very early age, we just used to take them in there with us and the other would take him out once washed.

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ulig » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 am

I would try bathing him less frequently. I wouldn't put him and yourself through that kind of stress. Just wash the mucky areas with a washcloth every day. My kids only took baths once or twice a week. I just couldn't be bothered with the stress of bathing every day :giggle:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler