hf1

Ideas to get baby to be awake more in day, rather than at ni

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Ideas to get baby to be awake more in day, rather than at ni

Postby happytails » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Please. Lucas is two weeks old and spends the evening up to about 1 in the morning awake/feeding/generally not sleeping for more than ten mins at a time. He is bf and I presume some of this is cluster feeding (he generally feeds 3 hourly in the day) but he spends most of the day asleep.

I'm thinking night times will be better if he spends more of the day awake but what can I do to entertain him ( I have 22m dd to think about also). Dd goes down at 7pm so if me and Lucas could sleep soon after that it would do me a world of good, rather than be tearing my hair out having been up past 1am and back up at 7am ish.

Dd doesn't nap in day so can't rest in the day :( advice appreciated x

My avatar
emma tully
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Ideas to get baby to be awake more in day, rather than at ni

Postby emma tully » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:54 pm

i have experience with nocturnal babies :hohoho:
my youngest is a night owl,more so when she was really tiny. looking back i think that because of the experience of being a second baby,surrounded by the hustle and bustle of daily life with a toddler sibling,she took refuge in sleeping in the sling all day,cozy!,as the outside world was a bit over stimulating for her.she "came out" at night,when it was just her and mammy and daddy being calm,chilling on the sofa.she satisfied her need to look around and hear voices and absorb the world in those quiet evenings,dispite me being bleary eyed with sleep deprivation :night:
as she has grown and is more able to filter out the stimulation of the day,she does happily(well...) go to bed and although she wakes for milk,she snuggled back down to sleep.
i did try to make sure i was somewhere calm and quiet a few times during the day,reading toddle a book or having a quiet snack,to see if she wanted to wake up and join in,she did this more as she got to around 6 weeks i think.
just thought id share my experience,i dearly hope you get more lovely sleep soon :hug:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 pm

He will naturally change from being nocturnal to keeping more normal hours, but I really don't think there's much you can do about a 2 week old baby's sleeping habits, not without making them seriously grumpy.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:05 pm

They don't develop a body clock until they are 6-8 weeks old, so you are kind of stuck with it till then. He should be sleeping a lot anyway, but my preference was always to try to keep martha entertained after a feed (ie not let her fall asleep on the breast) then have her sleep later.

As for the cluster feeding, this is normal and I'm afraid you are stuck with it for the time being - it's only for a few weeks so try to hang in there(and see if Mum can take Amber sometimes so you can catch up on sleep, or DH at the weekends)

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm

northernruth wrote:They don't develop a body clock until they are 6-8 weeks old, so you are kind of stuck with it till then. He should be sleeping a lot anyway, but my preference was always to try to keep martha entertained after a feed (ie not let her fall asleep on the breast) then have her sleep later.

As for the cluster feeding, this is normal and I'm afraid you are stuck with it for the time being - it's only for a few weeks so try to hang in there(and see if Mum can take Amber sometimes so you can catch up on sleep, or DH at the weekends)

WSS my babies were all nocturnal till about 6 weeks and there was pretty much naff all that worked till then. :roll: :roll:

Hope you get some sleep soon :hug: :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm

sounds normal i would just accept it :hohoho: sorry thats no help whatsoever but thats what i did. Was amber not the same?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 am

Sorry I have no magical cure either, 6 weeks was when we started the 'bedtime' routine with both Megan and Kieren...as in having a nice bath at about 6pm, feeding as much as they wanted and then taking up to settle in their crib (once they were done feeding) rather than sleeping in the moses basket in the living room untill the next feed...it helped us get the 'end' of the day (even tho your up in the night a fair few times and sometimes K would only settle in the crib for an hour or so before wanting feeding again but then i would feed him up in in the bedroom and settle back in the crib upstairs) :)

Its early days hun, his little body clock has no idea whats going on yet :hug:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:54 am

littlesez wrote:sounds normal i would just accept it :hohoho: sorry thats no help whatsoever but thats what i did. Was amber not the same?

Bf'ing didn't work out with dd so i switched to bottle before now and it really helped her settle and sleep for decent amounts of time. But I'm so happy I'm managing to bf, I really want to continue it so apart from when I'm really tired and can't think straight, I'm not even considering swapping to formula.

He settled well last night too, after writing this lol and slept 12-4 :shock: and has just had a feed and is now back asleep so best go sleep myself :lol:

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 am

I agree with all the pp's, I don't think there is a lot you can do with a newborn. I just stuck with the feeding in the dark and silence at night and lots of light and noise during the day, plus I used to talk to Tyler a lot during the day whereas at night I was generally too tired to string a sentence together anyway!

He definitely started sleeping long stretches at night fairly quickly though as I remember thinking what an angel newborn I had - if only it had lasted :giggle:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler