hf1

Stressed about LO's weight

My avatar
teresat
Clothie
Clothie

Stressed about LO's weight

Postby teresat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Ok so health visitors have managed to get me completely stressed about Corey's weight.

Been having him weighed 4weekly like they say to and each time we go they complain he's not gaining enough.

Basically he only takes 4 - 6oz bottles a day he won't take more than that. He's on C & G 2 so i did what they suggested and swapped him back to C&G1 and fed him every 3 hours during the day so he had 5 bottle buit he only took 3 ozs out of each bottle which meant he was getting less than doing it my was so switched him back. Went to weigh in clinic and they said 'are you sure you can't get any more in him' about 10 times! (screaming inside my head) so she suggested early weaning well..... at time he wasn't impressed instead of spitting out he holds it in the back of his throat and throws up! so i can't over feed him and he doesn't sdo savoury. So i rang HV for advice (3 times in one week before someone returned my call) and she told me off for weaning!! ffs so i explained everything and she said he should not be going 12 hours a night without a feed (he doesn't sleep for that i might add) but i don't force him to go that long! She said i was to wake him and feed him at 11 before i went to bed. Well that did not go down very well. he was grumpy wouldn't settle wouldn't laugh or giggle and that was during the day as well as at night so i stopped it and he went back to normal. Took him to different weight clinic to see someone different and explain what had been going on and she want to refere him to a peadiatrition (sp) He was 8lb 2oz born (8/7/10) and last wek weighed 14lb 2oz he's dropped two lines of the charts and just completely stressed me out!!

SOrry needed to rant!

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Stressed about LO's weight

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

How old is your LO now? Does he gain weight between visits and not loose any? If so he is probably fine and just finding his own line.

My dd was 9lb5oz born (91st centile) and fell down the charts (she was also FF) until 4-5months then she stuck to the 25th percentile. She always gained but just small amounts.

Ruairidh was EBF until 5.5months and like his sister he was 91st born and fell to the 25th and has stuck there since. As long as he does wet and dirty nappies, is alert and happy then I am pretty sure its nothing to worry about. Some HV's just get to obsesed with charts and numbers rather than looking at the baby.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Birthweight is irrelevant, babies often take a while to find their own curve. It can be more useful to plot from the lowest weight after birth. Anywhere on the chart is normal. If there is a sustained drop of 2 or more centiles (which cannot be explained by illness) AND there is concern about growth (length should be measured) AND/OR development then this should be followed up.

When to weigh
Babies should be weighed in the first week as part of the assessment of feeding and thereafter as needed. Recovery of birthweight indicates that feeding is effective and that the child is well. Once feeding is established, babies should usually be weighed at around 8, 12 and 16 weeks and 1 year at the time of routine immunisations. If there is concern, weigh more often; however, weights measured too close together are often misleading, so babies should be weighed no more than once a month up to 6 months of age, once every 2 months from 6 to 12 months of age, and once every 3 months over the age of 1 year. However, most children do not need to be weighed this often.

What is a normal rate of weight gain and growth?
Babies do not all grow at the same rate, so a baby’s weight often does not follow a particular centile line, especially in the first year. Weight is most likely to track within one centile space (the gap between two centile lines, see diagram). In infancy, acute illness can lead to sudden weight loss and a weight centile fall but on recovery the child’s weight usually returns to its normal centile within 2–3 weeks. However, a sustained drop through two or more weight centile spaces is unusual (fewer than 2% of infants) and should be carefully assessed by the primary care team, including measuring length/height.

Because it is difficult to measure length and height accurately in pre-school children, successive measurements commonly show wide variation. If there are worries about growth, it is useful to measure on a few occasions over time; most healthy children will show a stable average position over time.

Head circumference centiles usually track within a range of one centile space. After the first few weeks a drop or rise through two or more centile spaces is unusual (fewer than 1% of infants) and should be carefully assessed.

For his age and weight, the amount he is taking is on the lower side of normal. I would be more concerned about the 12 hour gap at night though as that's not good for blood sugar etc. If he would take another feed later in the evening or during the night that would be better. Bear in mind, the hungry baby formula you are using will be harder for him to digest though.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:15 pm

I'd agree try (as hard as it is) not to get too stressed out. I think some babies, like my little RIley, are on a schedule of their own. No matter what I did or when I fed her she would either feed or not! there was no rhyme nor reason. I even got to the point of recording every drop she took which like it seems with your LO wasnt much.

It took me a while but start to trust her (if you can trust a baby :wink: ) but that she would have what she needed. just after I got to this point her pead and I had a stand up row, I was mixing her high calorie milk with regular formula because she wouldnt take it otherwise, and it didnt make any difference how much or what she took she just gained weight when she wanted! The pead was basically trying to say that I wasnt doing the best for my girl and said that if she hadnt gained the oz that she had that weigh in she would have admitted her to monitor her milk intake.

At the end of the day you can't force them to drink, the pead also said we should be weaning her, and she couldnt even support her head or sit up. Anyway when I finally did wean her at about 10 months her food intake was exactly the same as her milk. she would eat what and when she wanted and there was no forcing her. She would clamp her mouth shut to everything, or take half and hour to suck a piece of baby corn. so again I just left her to find her own way.

Now she eats like a horse, but is still on the same line. Sorry for the essay, but as long as you know there isnt any underlying medical issue and your LO is healthy and happy and functioning normally then let them guide you. :hug:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

DS1 was born on the 50th centile and by 4 months I think he was up to the 98th centile, he's still there now, DD dropped from the 50th centile to the 2nd in her first 6 months, she has happily stayed there since, DS2 born on the 91st centile has dropped to the 0.4th, he weighs the same as your LO but is a month older, and was nearly a lb heavier when he was born, what I'm trying to say is that there is no normal for a baby, provided he's happy I wouldnt worry too much :hug:

My avatar
teresat
Clothie
Clothie

Postby teresat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. He's just 6 months old. He is a happy baby rarely cries (unless he's in bath) rolls plays with toys and laughs his head off specially when he's tickled.
He does put on every visit but only a couple of ozs (last visit was a big one 5oz) Hopefully it will settle down but had a thought... He poops constantly. Every nappy change is cos he has poo'd not cos he's just wet can go through 5-6 poos a day. possibly related or just coincidence and should i take him doc or talk to hv?

xxx

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Has he always pooped a lot or is this recent? What colour and consistency is it? An increase in frequency or volume can be a sign of infection, especially in a formula fed baby. Lots of poop can also be a sign of allergy or intolerance especially when combined with slow weight gain. Formula fed babies tend to poo less often but it could be completely normal for him. It might be worth mentioning to your HV/GP if you are concerned.

My avatar
teresat
Clothie
Clothie

Postby teresat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:20 am

Well I spoke to hv and cos its mucusy she wants a milk allergy test and a lactose intolerance test doing maybe that will give us some answers. X p

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Sounds like your HV is on the ball. That's what crossed my mind too. Good luck with the tests.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler