hf1

Bad sleep habits!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Bad sleep habits!

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Hey, we all need to vent sometimes and you're not a bad mother at all. Adjusting when you have a baby is a huge thing, just go along with what feels right and what works for you. BF is so tiring too but even that gets easier when they're a little older. You're doing a fab job :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm

all i did when i read your post was think of me nearly 2 years ago! :giggle: no judging :hug: we have all been there its part of the worry and stress of being a first time mum but i agree with tory enjoy this newborn stage because before you know it she will be a toddler then your'll look liek this :panic: :panic: :panic:

:hohoho:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Lol, you just sound like a new mother. You'll get there. :wink: :hug:

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm

I know how you feel as Emily has been having a bad patch for the last 4 months but we have the odd good night that helps me through. As far as co sleeping goes it was suggested to me and I was worried about having her in the bed too but with the last growth spurt she was feeding every hour so we took the side off her cot and shoved it right up beside our bed and I just sleep leaning onto her bed. It has meant that I get so much more sleep than I was getting and I don't worry about her sleeping beside me as she still has her own space. It has meant things are easier overnight but it's a bugger to get in and out of the bed, I must look some sight :giggle:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Even the baby whisperer doesn't suggest any form of sleep training before 4 months.......sounds like a classic growth spurt, and if your milk is taking a while to catch up then that might explain the regular waking later in the night. It's really important to keep feeding at night as that's when your prolactin levels are high and it helps with the milk production. You'll catch up with her - probably about the time she settles down again :hug:

They DO develop certain sleep associations/ props around 4 months which might be what you are thinking of in terms of her "not being hungry" but seriously, she's too little now for anything other than following her cues. And remebering, "this too shall pass"

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Annette;s suggestion of a few pyjama days sounds like a good one!!!!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm

:hug: :hug: You didn't sound like a terrible mother at all, just a tired one. You'll get through it, like you'll get through all the challenges they throw at us. In the meantime I'd go with Sara's 'if in doubt get them out', that's what I did, and I did sometimes question whether it was the 'right' thing to do. But it worked so I went with it, and at some point they stopped waking every two hours.

I really struggled for a while with night feeds, and used to dread being woken what seemed like moments after I'd gone to sleep. But then a friend put a different light on it by describing her experience of night feeds as a wonderful quiet time, where it was just her and her baby, noone else, no interruptions, doing something that only she could do for her baby. It didn't help with sleep deprivation, and I still craved a full night's sleep, but it did help me see those frequent night feeds in a positive light. It is tough though :hug:

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks everyone! Advice duly noted to the extent that I'm up feeding at the moment and dh just woke up and asked how many times i'd been up so far and I genuinely couldn't remember! Lol! Which is also a little frustrating as she may have just done a 4 hour stint or it could have been 2 hours! Oh well who cares! I think it's awful that when you breast feed people try and ram formula feeding down your throat but from what I can gather when you ff people go on about bf! Oh the trials and tribulations! Am going to try and do a load of pumping today to see if I can speed up the increase go supply my pump broke a couple of weeks ago and I can't find the receipt so have managed to borrow a friends for a couple of days. Whilst I try and work out what to do. I have got a hand pump as well but it hurts my nipple lol! X

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:12 am

You are doing so fab Luc' :hug: :hug: :hug: - I remember those nights of not being able to answer the 'how many times were you up ?' question :giggle: :giggle:

I agree with Amanda (was it me that said it to you?) about treasuring the night feeds. I started it because Louise (our oldest sister) told me to try to treasure every day as it goes by so fast. So with Josh the only time I felt like it was just us adn I took the time to marvel over him was those middle of the night feeds and I'd go in to the living room with the lights off and just the lights illuminating the church outside for light and just feed in the silence and look at him. I still remember it so clearly because I was consciously treasuring it (oh god I'm :cry: again :oops: )

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:20 am

don't add to the water already in QLD! Lol! I have actually found cnt the most helpful tool I've had as a new mum. (and I'm not just saying it because my sister runs it!) It's so nice to have somewhere that's pro breast feeding but in a way that's supportive rather than forceful (mw and hv!) thanks everyone. Just having a cheeky cuddle with my beautiful baby girl before I put her back in her cot! Since Sunday night we're missing out one of the wake ups as we moved her big girl cot into our room and moved her into it! Realised she'd been waking herself up trying to move up the moses basket and hitting her head plus her arms swing round like mad and the moses basket used to look like it was going to fall over! Bless her. X

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler