hf1

CoSleeping-how does it work?

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: CoSleeping-how does it work?

Postby lazylexis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 pm

We have a cot next to our bed with one side off. It's about 2 - 3cm lower than our mattress. Nathan has a feed and then usually turns away from me onto his belly and goes to sleep with his head in the cot and feet on the bed. I usually then watch tv in bed before going to sleep.dh joins us later or sleeps in spare room.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:44 pm

we only co-sleep part-time, mainly when DD is ill or otherwise in extra need of comfort. We always start off with her in her own bed, if she wakes in the night I always try and settle her in her own room at first, she'll either go back to sleep fairly easily, or it will be a struggle and she'll wake within 10 mins of me getting her back to sleep, and this will happen repeatedly - that's when I take her in the spare room with me and snuggle up. There just isn't room in our bed to co-sleep all the time, and I don't want to be in the spare room every night, but this works for us - she was with me all night last night as she seemed very unsettled and wouldn't be put down at all, but tonight she has gone in her own room and so far so good (fingers crossed!).

In times of change (like me going back to work, being away from home etc) then I am more likely to end up co-sleeping, whereas on a normal day we try and keep her in her cot if possible. Luckily she doesn't seem to expect it on the nights when she isn't feeling ill/clingy.

My avatar
tiger75
Clothie
Clothie

Postby tiger75 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm

At the moment DD goes to sleep in her own bed ( a toddler bed next to a double mattress) and I go to sleep in the other bed (a kingsize next to a side along cot) with DP. She's been sick so waking up alot so I've been going in and sleeping with her. If she sleeps better (soon?) I'l probably bring her into our bed as I like sleeping with both of them! The problem with this arrangement is that DP is a very light sleeper who gets woken up by her if she wakes up too much. :-?

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Thu May 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Rufus spends the hole night in bed with me and has done pretty much since birth (we have a sidecar but it didn't work for us). I take him up to bed at 7pm and he breastfeeds to sleep (or sometimes daddy walks him around the room) then I get in beside him at about midnight. Daddy is living in at work so doesn't share with us, besides which, there's no room :giggle: We want to TTC in the next couple of months, I really cannot imagine how thats going to work!

My avatar
NaturalNursery
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby NaturalNursery » Fri May 27, 2011 10:34 pm

E was in with us all night right from the start until around 3 yo, then part time until about 5ish. Now she comes in every now and then when she needs it, perhaps once a month, but always for a cuddle before we get up in the morning.

I assume we will do the same with this one.

My avatar
katel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby katel » Mon May 30, 2011 5:56 pm

From about five weeks E slept through the night in her own cot in our room. Then after Christmas she suddenly stopped sleeping through, was v. reluctant to go to sleep at all, often didn't go to sleep til nine or ten, then would wake every 10 mins to 1/2 hour after that. We gave up trying to settle her in her cot, when she woke I'd bring her in with us (we shoved our pillows to the sides and she slept in the middle with her head level with ours but straight onto the sheet) - sometimes I'd have to go to bed with her when she didn't settle and she knew when I moved out of bed and would wake up. I didn't have a problem with it at all and neither did husband. I really like cuddling her in the night.

Then one day last week for a day sleep I tried putting her down on her tummy (she's 81/2 mths). She slept for the longest she'd ever done and so I tried it at night and lo and behold she's slept through in her cot ever since. I'm sad... not holding my breath though as I'm not convinced it'll last. Having said that now I can get back to persuading him to have another much more effectively :widesmile:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler