hf1

Chicken Pox - updated

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Chicken Pox - updated

Postby sarahbiles » Wed May 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Okay so hopefully this is in the right place. My eldest has got chicken pox. Doctor has said that Mac will have my antibodies in him for 2 months and he shouldn't catch it but even if he did he will be okay and it probably wouldn't bother him. Normally I wouldn't question anything my doctor says but i looked on nhs direct and they said for babies under 4 weeks old to contact doctor, so its a bit confusing to me. I've had chicken pox so i should be immune but can you loose your immunity to chicken pox? I only ask as i had to have the MMR jab after i had Mac as I'd lost my immunity to rubella whilst being pregnant.

I think my motherly instints are taking over me tonight and making me paranoid lol.
Last edited by sarahbiles on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Chicken Pox

Postby trogette » Wed May 28, 2008 10:52 pm

What can you do really but keep a close eye on him? Yes he's got (still getting? sorry I haven't been keeping up with the board) your antibodies, if you're bf you can dose yourself up on vitamin A which should hopefully mean he gets as much as possible to help keep the damage minimal if he does get it, you can use your milk on the spots to reduce the risk of infection, use homeopathics to support him through it... It'll probably be a couple of weeks before it kicks in so that's 2 more weeks for him to grow, not vaccination age yet (if you do vacs) so no further complications going on... I hope he doesn't get it {{hugs}}

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 am

I know that docs say a breastfed newborn shouldn't get it but I had it at 2 weeks (from my brother) and my mum argued with the doc and had to take me to see him to prove it :roll: It was quite mild though - presumably because of the antibodies floating around - and I was fine. But they have said I could get it again.

So I would suggest keeping a close eye despite what the doc said.

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Steph » Thu May 29, 2008 10:44 am

Lexi was less than a day old when Toby got chicken pox and she was fine, hope your little one doesn't get it.

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sarahbiles » Thu May 29, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks all - i'm not breast feeding him so thats why i'm worried. I just wondered about any complications with it - i know if he gets it like most children he'll be fine but i just wondered as he's a baby would it make him very poorly. I guess i'll just have to wait and see - i've read it will take 2 weeks for siblings to come out in the spots if they have it so i guess its just a waiting game now. :(

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Ah hugs for you! I know it's hard not to worry. He won't definitely get it. DH caught chicken pox when Lockie was 6 months old (he looked very funny with all the spots) but Lockie didn't catch it and he wasn't bfing by then either. I was sure he would get it but he didn't.

Fingers crossed he's OK.

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Fri May 30, 2008 7:35 am

Hope your LO doesn't get it. My friend's 4month old exclusively BF son caught it off his sister right at the end of the 2 week period, so you'll need to watch closely till the incubation period is well over. He was a bit miserable at nights with it, but not too sick and grumpy during the day (and he has a serious heart condition too, so was quite worrying for my friend). FC he stays healthy.

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sarahbiles » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:18 am

Well Lexi and Mac have both got chicken pox - took him to the hospital as he's had a temperature - they told us to give him 2.5ml of calpol but it didn't make any difference. They said they'll probably both only have it mildly - as it is they've both got less than 10 spots at the moment - so am hoping they wont get too many more.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Chicken Pox - updated

Postby mabo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:33 am

>:D< to both of them

Hopefully they wont suffer too much with them. At least they are so young, and I think young kids just get on with it, even when they are poorly.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler