hf1

Babies with colds

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Babies with colds

Postby Annette » Thu May 29, 2008 8:05 am

As well as being very windy / colicky / refluxy, whatever it is, Ben has had a bad cold for the past few days (feels like forever!) and is really struggling to breathe and feed which is just adding to my sleep problems - Mark has taken to sitting up with Ben for an hour or two at night as it is the only way he will sleep (combination of clearing his nose, preventing him being sick and feeling comforted I guess), so that I can get a little bit of rest!

Anyone got any magic tips for helping a baby with a very stuffy nose who is struggling to sleep and feed?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Babies with colds

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu May 29, 2008 8:18 am

Saline nose drops
Snuffle babe on your clothing
Steamy rooms e.g. take him into the bathroom when you have a shower

And unfortunately just give it time... Sorry!

How are you getting on with the gaviscon?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu May 29, 2008 10:05 am

the gaviscon did reduce the sickness but he was still as unsettled as before so I figured I could handle the sick more than the hassle of gaviscon. I was offered a referral to see a paediatrician but I am not even sure it is reflux - I think I hoped it was so it could be fixed rather than just colic which we will just need to ride out.

I am just having to face facts that he doesn't like to sleep unless being held and hope he grows out of it quickly. It is difficult to tell at the moment if there is any improvement because of his stuffy nose - he wants to eat frequently but I am not sure whether this is for comfort or because he is struggling to breathe so doesn't feed well. He also gets more snuffly when lying down so is his inability to sleep due to reflux/colic or just his cold? and the mucus can't help the sickness :roll:

So I have teated myself to a new wrap and mei tei to make me feel better - well I am carrying him constantly and my stretchy wrap was annoying me. He likes the wrap and it at least enables me to function in the day even if I feel like I am living off 30 minute cat naps all night :roll:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 am

I know you've said he doesn't like to be put down much, but if you can get him to be on his own, how about letting him sleep in something like a bouncing chair?

When Bella's sickness was bad, I used to do that, and even now, when she gets a cold, I put her in it and it makes her more comfortable.

My avatar
Claire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Claire » Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 am

>:D< >:D< Annette. So hard on Mummy when they are sick! My Mei Tai has kept me going over the worst colds. Mimi has been full of one for the past few days and can't breathe through her nose at all when she is lying down. I get her to sleep in it in the evening and then arrange lots of cushions on the sofa so that I'm semi-reclined. It's a bit of a pain but it means I don't feel guilty about not doing the ironing, always a bonus :D .

About the reflux, poor sleeping, have you considered a Cranial Osteopath? Lula always slept so badly and was a really poor feeder. It took until she was 15 months and I was at breaking point with lack of sleep for me to take her. She is like a different child. It took about 6 sessions but the Osteopath said it took a little longer because it had been left for so long :oops: :oops: He said her probs came from being a twin and being very squashed and then being a breech delivery.

This time around, Mimi was a straight forward delivery so I didn't think there would be any problems. At about 6 weeks he was sleeping so badly though and hated her car seat so much that I thought I'd take her. They take loads of details about the birth and thought that the cord being around her neck and the fact that she was born so quickly had caused a few problems. I'm not sure I understand it and don't know what they do (it looks like they are doing nothing!) but it transformed her from screaming all the way to her first appointment to falling asleep in the car on the way home from it (and sleeping for 3 straight hours :shock: ). She's still not perfect but maybe it's worth thinking about. Have alook at this http://www.osteopathy.org.uk/about_oste ... sheets.php and you can also find ones near to you.

Hope he's better soon.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu May 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Honestly Annette I would take the referral - gaviscon doesn't work for most reflux babies and the reflux aggravates things like colds and is terrible for them sleeping...
It could well be that he needs an anti-acid medication as the acid heartburn (well you remember what it's like) is what makes them unsettled, the gaviscon just helps stop the milk coming back up...
It could take a while to come through and you can always cancel the appointment if he improves before you get seen - honestly I really wish I'd pushed for Isabelle to get better help and think my quality of sleep and life would have been SO much better if I had...
So PLEASE please do get referred...

We didn't find the osteopath did anything for Isabelle, was an expensive waste of money in my opinion as I saw no improvement... BUT I do know it works really well some people...

I spent the nights during the first several months of Isabelle's life propped up on pillows with her soundly asleep on my chest and me sleeping but stiff - but it was the only way I got any sleep and if I moved her she woke and needed resettling again!! It was hard and you do have my utmost sympathy...

Isabelle fed very frequently (every 30mins often) partly comfort as when they're in pain they feed for comfort - trouble is that made the reflux/pain worse :roll:

Definately try the baby bouncy chair option - Isabelle slept in hers during the day sometimes and it was bliss the relief!! I also propped her up on pillows in her cot as she wasn't going to roll anywhere and that helped her sleep too...

>:D<

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Ben sounds very much like what William was like and he also got a nasty cold at roughly 2-3weeks.

As Steph suggested Saline drops and a nasal aspirator (sp?) worked great! William hated getting it done but it brought so much relief.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu May 29, 2008 4:55 pm

unfotunately the chair doesn't work much, we can get him to sit quietly in it long enough to eat our dinner but he won't sleep for any length of time in it. I think this is because he scrunches down in it and this makes any tummy pain worse - perhaps over time as he sits up more it will help.

I have spent most of today being sicked on which is very irritating, especially as we went for his hearing test at the hospital and I took lots of changes of clothes for him but discovered I could have done with a clean top after our hour long wait!

Might talk to the doctor again, I just don't know. I keep getting glimmers of hope like this morning when he fell asleep in his crib while I was just drying my hair, but alas it only lasted half hour.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu May 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Maybe this morning was the noise of the hairdryer (I'm assuming you were blow-drying your hair?) Maybe one of those comfort bears that makes white noise would help him?

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler