hf1

Cradle cap

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Cradle cap

Postby mabo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:13 am

Anna used to have quite bad cradle cap as a baby but because she had so much hair it never fully came out even when using Dentinox. I thought I'd just leave it and it would come out on its own but there are still patches of it on the top of her head which, because she smeared her pasta dinner in her hair a couple of days ago, are now really bright orangy red in colour :hohoho:

Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of them?

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Cradle cap

Postby ericaj1 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:06 pm

We had some shampoo prescribed form the GP that did the trick, I'll see if we still have it somewhere and give you the name.

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Fri May 30, 2008 12:14 pm

My cousin's dd had cradle cap that persisted in patches till she was about 18months. They massaged her scalp with baby oil and then picked (TMI, sorry!) it out gently -little bits at a time when she would let them. (Actually, she loves being tickled so would lie still for hours with one of them tickling her and the other one working on her head)

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri May 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Baby oil to soften it and then a fine tooth comb (nit combs are great) and most of it should lift out.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Fri May 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Katie still has some now. It is coming out gradually - I find lots of brushing works well.
We tried the usual shampoos when she was younger and they didn't really seem to do much.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Fri May 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Oh I'd forgotten about baby oil - we still have a bottle full of the stuff so will use that when she wakes up from her afternoon nap and leave it to soak till bathtime. And i'm sure I have a nit comb somewhere too.

I was about to attack her with a bottle of olive oil :shock: :hohoho:

Thanks! :lol:

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Fri May 30, 2008 11:13 pm

Oh phooey I would have said olive oil was better than baby oil as it's veggie based and full of useful stuff, where baby oil is mineral based and, erm, not.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 am

Well its not too late! I didnt get round to doing it yesterday so I can still use olive oil - I just thought it might be a bit strong smelling, as opposed to other oils like grapeseed oil but I dont have that...

Return to Baby and Toddler