hf1

Tips for ditching the dummy?

My avatar
mamaellie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Tips for ditching the dummy?

Postby mamaellie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Really need to get Juliet to give up her dummy as she's 2 now and talking. She only has it at bedtime and naptime at the moment, but I feel like it's really time to get her to give those up, too. I'm just not sure if it's better to take them all away and go cold turkey or cut out naptime or what...
Simon's just started taking one, too, so I'm worried (maybe unnecessarily) that she'll feel really slighted if I take hers and he still has his.
Someone I know put her DD's inside a bear at build-a-bear so she could still feel it, but I'm not sure if that would just make her more upset being reminded of it.

Any advice?

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Tips for ditching the dummy?

Postby Bluebell » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Not that helpful to you as you're in Kent, but apparantly there is a monkey at Woburn that takes dummies from children! I heard that when the keepers clean out the cages, there is a pile of dummies in there :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:
Think parents take their children there, the monkey takes the dummy and the parents explain that the monkey needs it now :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm

go cold turkey, could take them off both children, saves you the hassle again in months to come with your youngest, and then there will also be no resentment or her stealing his etc,

go and find them all now, except one, throw them all out in the main trash so they cant be find, in the morning, tell Juliet she is a big girl now and dummies need to go in the bin, let her put the last one in the bin, and then go bake some cupcakes or something to take her mind off it, expect tears, but all will be forgetting with a couple days :wink:
x

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Bluebell wrote:Not that helpful to you as you're in Kent, but apparantly there is a monkey at Woburn that takes dummies from children! I heard that when the keepers clean out the cages, there is a pile of dummies in there :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:
Think parents take their children there, the monkey takes the dummy and the parents explain that the monkey needs it now :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

So that's what I need to do :hohoho: Ds is not happy about the idea of the 'dummy fairy' taking it for the babies. He gets really sad when he says the dummy will go in the special box :(
We will keep talking to him about it and then finally get round to doing it :oops: Oh he only has it for bedtime.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:53 am

we just stopped giving her it, turns out the poor kiddo was poorly at the time with slapped cheek but she was fine, didn't bother at all x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:38 am

123princesssammie wrote:go cold turkey, could take them off both children, saves you the hassle again in months to come with your youngest, and then there will also be no resentment or her stealing his etc,

go and find them all now, except one, throw them all out in the main trash so they cant be find, in the morning, tell Juliet she is a big girl now and dummies need to go in the bin, let her put the last one in the bin, and then go bake some cupcakes or something to take her mind off it, expect tears, but all will be forgetting with a couple days :wink:
x

Blimy thats a bit harsh...the other baby is only 4 (?) months old? :-? The older one might understand that but the baby sure wouldnt :-?

Sorry i guess im more relaxed when it comes to these things but I let megan give hers up when she was ready, it worked for us and her...im abig believer in being child led as much as I can (within reason) becuase i think it helps them make decisions and carry them through rather than cause alot of upset etc. Megan was 2.5 when kieren was born and he took a dummy too so i just let her carry on with hers at nap time and night time and eventually she didnt bother anymore with it and just stopped using it one day.

It depends on Juliettes attatchment and how much you think she can cope with. I think it also depends what your thoughts on it are...if its really bothering you then take it off her, explain and carry it through...

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:44 am

megansmummy wrote:
123princesssammie wrote:go cold turkey, could take them off both children, saves you the hassle again in months to come with your youngest, and then there will also be no resentment or her stealing his etc,

x

Blimy thats a bit harsh...the other baby is only 4 (?) months old? :-? The older one might understand that but the baby sure wouldnt :-?

Sorry i guess im more relaxed when it comes to these things but I let megan give hers up when she was ready, it worked for us and her...im abig believer in being child led as much as I can (within reason) becuase i think it helps them make decisions and carry them through rather than cause alot of upset etc. Megan was 2.5 when kieren was born and he took a dummy too so i just let her carry on with hers at nap time and night time and eventually she didnt bother anymore with it and just stopped using it one day.

It depends on Juliettes attatchment and how much you think she can cope with. I think it also depends what your thoughts on it are...if its really bothering you then take it off her, explain and carry it through...

I said about taking it from the youngest one aswell because he has only just started taking it so wont be relying on it yet,so wont be bothered if its gone
and if taken from him now it will save doing all this again later in a couple tears time and any resentment from your 2yrold

I took aleshas from her a week before her 1st birthday, i am very much child led aswell, it was her decision, to give up her bottle at bed, moved into a bed etc etc but i think sucking a dummy all day long will damage the formation of the mouth and also stops speech developing once they begin too talk, so aleshas was taken from her at this time to hopfully prevent these things but also because at that age they are easily distraced and easy forget things, she asked for hers a couple times, was distracted and that was the end of it, but she was much younger hence why i said about keeping one so juliet can place one in the bin and make the recognition that the dummy has gone herself x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 am

I would completely agree that dummy sucking all day long would not be good...but we were talking naps and bedtime...that's why I said within reason...

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:54 am

megansmummy wrote:I would completely agree that dummy sucking all day long would not be good...but we were talking naps and bedtime...that's why I said within reason...

Point taken :wink:

It still not good for there mouths and teeth thou, i dont think any children should have them past the age of one year, but thats my opinion :wink:

x

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler