hf1

Tips for ditching the dummy?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Tips for ditching the dummy?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 am

Lockie had always had a dummy, and I'm being perfectly honest I gave it to him a lot more than he needed it during the day :oops: . So I decided last summer that i would go cold turkey during the day, and it didnt bother him one bit. then a couple of months ago I decided to just go cold turkey for sleeps too. So one night i just didnt give it to him (it was always in his cot and I would attach it to his sleeping bag. He didnt even bat an eyelid, so I did the same for the next days nap. After a couple of days there was a few tears but they only lasted a few minutes.

COld turkey is easier I think, but as someone else pointed out I'd get rid of the other babies too. Maybe just forget to give it a few times and see what happens. But if you do go cold turkey make sure every dummy is out of the house.... as its easy to be tempted when the going gets tough :wink:

My avatar
mamaellie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mamaellie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks. I think I'm going to try just not giving it to her and see what happens (I do physically hand it to her at bedtime-- it's not in her reach or sight during the day). Honestly, she usually spits it out when she falls alseep and most nights it ends up on the floor, so it's probably more me than her.

My little one has one at the lactation consultant's suggestion (I was hoping to not give him one, but she thinks it might help with some of the problems we have related to his tongue tie), so I think we'll have to just wait and see how we go with that, but I definitely think I missed the moment around the one year mark-- that was my original plan and then I had major mummy guilt over getting pregnant again, so I didn't even try.

My avatar
RUBY_1985
Clothie
Clothie

Postby RUBY_1985 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:46 am

Hi hun

With DD I told her she had to give it to the dummy fairy :roll: I wrote a note from the dummy fairy saying she was a big girl now and if she put her dummy in this special bag then there would be a gift for her. First night she wouldnt put it in the bag lol :giggle:

Anyway second night she did and I left a cuddly toy in the bag for morning. We have managed to get rid of the dummy but now at bedtime she sucks her thumb so dont really know how you can get rid of that lol :giggle:

good luck it wont be as bad as you think just make sure you dont change your mind if she gets upset.

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Although Ben doesn't have a dummy, when I was a baby/toddler I did.

My mum had great trouble convincing me I didn't need it and in the end this is what happened each night.... (I must've been about 3ish as I remember as clear as day doing this :giggle: )

Whole family goes to the bottom of the garden. Dad puts dummy on top of a rock. We all stand back and wait. Suddenly my mum and dad would say - "Look there comes the Fairy, she's looking for your dummy....." Me and my brother would look behind us into the lovely (and very clear) blue sky. "omg I can see her I can see her!!!" I would cry out. Our eyes would follow where our parents would point around in the sky. They then told us to close our eyes otherwise the fairy would not come down as she was very very shy. We duely did as we were told, 1 minute later mum & dad told us to open our eyes. The Fairy had been! my dummy was gone. I was so amazed and excited that a fairy had come into the garden I wasn't worried about the dummy. The fairy was just looking after it for me and would give it back in the morning. (this was then repeated in the morning to give it back).

I can't remember how my dummy was taken away completely, I assume M&D just said one day (once I was happy to be without my dummy) that the fairy wanted to keep it for always as she loved it so much. (I only used it to get to sleep)

It worked tho and as daft as it sounds, I think it worked because my parents got so *into* it iykwim. Goodness knows what I was looking at tho, I swear I could see the fairy pmsl :hohoho: :hohoho: :notallthere:

HTH's and although a little strange, it did work :giggle:

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:09 pm

My youngest two both lost theirs on a Sunday evening too... So no chance of nipping out to replace them. Noah was two and whinged a little the first night but was fine afterwards. Poppy lost hers last weekend and I do feel she still needs it to settle right now because she's poorly but we've not replaced it and she's had more cuddles and reassurance to go to sleep. She has cried more than Noah did but she's also sleeping better at night now because she's not relying on the dummy to settle her. So I think she's fine without it too, next step is her going into her own (with Noah) room to sleep...

My avatar
aob1013
Clothie
Clothie

Postby aob1013 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Maybe try going cold turkey?

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:03 pm

cold turkey is the best method I've used. I know its scary but if theres no dummy you can't cave in. send them to the dummy fairy or exchange for a pressie and bin them! the first few days are hard but its worth it, doing this with my 3 year old right now. Only times he wants it is when he's tired and having to try and distract him

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler