hf1

Sleep dilema

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Sleep dilema

Postby angelsquidge » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 am

In a bit of a dilema with Grub's sleeping today. He's not a great sleeper in the night but neither of the other two ever were until about 2/3 years old so it's "normal" to me. He'll wake every couple of hours for a feed (which is fine and expected) and on a good night will then sleep fine in between that.

Over the last few nights though it's taking about 2-3 hours to get him to go down in the first place......I get them all ready for bed by 7pm and in bed, asleep anywhere between 7 and 7.30pm. He was going down at this time (even if for only a couple of hours) but the last few nights the moment I put him down he'll be awake grizzling and crying. This will go on for about 2 hours before he finally crashes out.....as do I, sometimes going without dinner because I'm too tired.....then he'll be up within a few hours for the next feed. Most night's he'll feed and go straight back to sleep but often it'll take over an hour, if not 2 to get him back to sleep again. This cycle will go on until I get up at 7am with the other 2.

After 3 hours of this last night I gave in and took him to bed with me for yet another :bf: and kept him in the bed. Obviously I fell asleep and didn't wake up until he stirred for his next feed.....SIX hours later!! It's the longest either of us have slept since he's been born :wine:

Now my dilema is, do I bring him in the bed again? I'm not a co-sleeper at all (nothing against it, I'm just not comfortable with it) and would rather the children be in their own beds but I was so greatful of having some sleep last night...as was Grub I think lol! I don't want to get into the habit of him being cwtched up in bed with me to be able to sleep but at the same time the sleep was so needed and appreciated! Not by dh though who had to sleep on the sofa :giggle:

WWYD?

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Sleep dilema

Postby weefywoo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 am

If it were me which is was 3 years ago! I would keep him in the bed, as long as you follow safe co-sleeping practices then you'll be fine .... You BOTH need some sleep Amber and if this is the only way you both get it then I would do it
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:28 am

I co-sleep so I know what I'd do, I'd get a bigger bed. It must be difficult though when he's so grizzly. Is he past the stage in the evenings and nights yet where he still wants to cluster feed and is he going through a growth spurt recently? If you don't want to cosleep you'd need to try to use all the other tricks like using a sheet or pillowcase in his bed that smells of you and trying to get him to self settle, but I think an individual baby's ability to do so is fairly temperamental.

Ella is still in our bed at night from about 3-4am, in fact she wouldn't get out of bed or let me get up this morning. :giggle: Suits us though. I guess you find what fixes the situation the best and suits you best. For me the problem I had at first was I couldn't co-sleep as Steven wasn't comfortable with it and I wanted to respect that, but he came around to it when he saw how exhausted I was and that I was really worried I was going to nod off with baby on my lap sitting on a chair.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 am

I also had not so great sleepers (and praying that this little one is the exception!!!) and quickly adopted the "do whatever I could to get some sleep" approach, which wasn't always the same. I always tried to get them down in their own bed (basket/cot) after every feed, but then if that didn't work after a few tries I'd just bring them in with me for the rest of the night. Natalie didn't need to do this for long, she seemed to prefer her own bed. Ryan much preferred ours and we had to make a big 2 night effort to get him to stay in his cot after midnight around 11 months old, not so much because of being in with us (we have a big bed) but because he was wanting to be attached all night long! :bf: so I wasn't getting any sleep.

Maybe keep trying to put him down on his own, but when you hit the point where you need to sleep then bring him in with you? It might not be every night, it could just be a phase, but you'll certainly feel better after a few more nights of long stretches of sleep! :)
:hug:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am

I agree with Frances. We're co-sleeping this time round with a bedside cot and so far, touch wood ;) :lol: things are much easier than last time. With Kacie I'd get up and sit on the bed, feed her, put her back down and if she was asleep then fine, but some nights she wouldn't settle again and I'd be up and down for and hour or more which is just not fun. Mira is in the bedside cot I literally pull her to me slightly, wriggle over to her a bit and stick my boob in her mouth :giggle: She's going 3 to 4 hours between feeds and I wake up next time she stirs. I'm getting about 7 hours a night altogether, would be more if I went to bed before midnight :oops: as M settles for the night much earlier than K used to at the same age. She did what Grub didlast night every night till she was 6 months old :-?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am

Beth- if I could fit a bigger bed into my room I would lol! Our house is tiny and there's only just enough room for a standard double in there....I'd love to have a bigger bed just so that I could spread out :hohoho:

I've got a feeling he is having a big growth spurt (he's 6 weeks today) as he's fed non stop for the last 2 days and nights :giggle:

e586 wrote:
Maybe keep trying to put him down on his own, but when you hit the point where you need to sleep then bring him in with you? It might not be every night, it could just be a phase, but you'll certainly feel better after a few more nights of long stretches of sleep! :)
:hug:

This is how I got last night Emily....I just had to get some sleep no matter what lol! If it is a growth spurt I'm hoping in a couple of days he'll settle back down again.

Mira sounds ideal Davina! I would love a bed side cot (again, no room for one to fit by my bedside) as that sounds the perfect happy medium. My boobs are big but still not big enough to reach his moses basket from the bed :giggle:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 am

I've never co-slept and if we have another baby, I probably won't do either. I had DS2 in the crib in our room and would bring him into bed for his feeds. I would let him fall asleep (if I hadn't done so 1st!) and then put him back in is crib and he never stirred. Could you just keep him in for a short while after a feed then move him?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:49 am

That's what I usually do but at the moment everytime I let go of him he'll wake :(

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

FC it's just a phase and he'll soon settle again. I also like the children to be in their own beds but when faced with sleep deprivation and other children to think of, I'm not sure what I'd do next time.

I think all you can do it try doing what your normally do and if you can get away with it then great but if not, perhaps you could leave him in with you, even if it is just the latter part of the night after his feed.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler