hf1

What do I need to take?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

What do I need to take?

Postby clothsister » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Am trying to work out what I need to organise to take on holiday in June, Chloe will be 8 months old, we're staying at my in laws house so there's nothing there at all! What do I need to take? Help! X

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: What do I need to take?

Postby clothmama » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:08 pm

I'd suggest to your inlaws that they should buy a highchair and a cot or travel cot to stay there with them to be honest - Chloe is the first grandchild but wont be the last going to visit so they will need it. My mil ended up buying a nice wooden cot cheaply off ebay and it has already been used by 3 babies! Another thing they could get instead of a big highchair would be one of those clip to the table variety which you could then take to restaurants if you needed to. If things are dear in Greece they could perhaps get things off UK ebay and pick them up on their next trip or you could certainly take a travel cot as part of your allowance.

I'd be aiming to be still breastfeeding her if I were you as I remember form my birth boards formula / water etc was always a big worry for mums going on holidays that weren't still bf'ing. You know that she is fine with that and don't need to worrry about taking /mixing on the flight / running out there etc. Mine were only on about 3 or 4 feeds a day I think at that point and they were so quick it was no hassle! By 8 months she'll be eating some solids, I haven't talked to you about baby led weaning but I'd love you to have a look at it and consider it - I so wish I'd known about it with Josh and a bit earlier with Louis (I started doing mush before I read about it). If you go this path you won't need to worry about food either as she will just pick at veggies and fruit etc, what ever you guys are eating (very stress free fun way to wean!).

A change mat, your pushchair (get a cover for it so it doesn't get damaged), what ever you would normally take on a day out tbh! And your cloth nappies as of course we'll have worked out what works for you by then :wink:

Will let you know if I think of more :hug: :hug:

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:19 pm

We went to France when Rufus was 5 months, it was for 2 weeks & we needed ALOT!

I think you are :bf: if I remember rightly, so that reduces things somewhat! I had to take steriliser, bottles, extra bottles, and I took premix formula because I was worried about the difference in water (lucky we were driving with the weight of all this!

Just think through all the things you need in a day for feeding, changing, sleeping, eating etc

Eating (by 8 months I imagine she'll be eating some food) ... BLW makes things much easier, she can eat what you are eating, no worry about faffing with mushes etc. Highchair of somesort would be useful!

Where will she sleep?
Do you need a travel cot, blankets, sheets, sleeping bags, blackout sheet/blind, fav teddy/comforter, dummies, monitor etc.

How many nappies does she normally use in a day/night?
Nappies, wraps, Wipes, Wetbag, wipes solution, liners, nappy creams etc

Clothes - for all weathers, layers are good as you never know what the temp is like in other people's houses or if you'll go out etc ...

Muslins, calpol, thermometer, Red Book (just in case) teething gel ... any other medicines etc you might need.
Suncream! Hats, Shade for pushchair, or large light muslin type cloth to totally cover her if asleep in pushchair, depending on how warm/where you are going - mozzynet and insect replelant.

Will you be swimming with her? - Swim nappies, floatseat thing etc ...

Toys! For travelling & while you are there, don't assume you'll be able to buy there, depends where you are & costs can be higher.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm

I would say a booster seat rather than a highchair.

I think they've covered everything else

Oh carseat ;)

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks all. Am not going down the blw route, I know that's probably sacralage to say but personally think it's just a trend thing and I don't trust it. But that's just my opinion and I'm not starting a debate, so will I need to take some sort of blender or will she be on mushed food by then? Yeah will sort out booster seat, saw one today in asda for £9 just wasn't sure if I would need one! In laws have borrowed a travel cot are they ok to use for 2 weeks. Not sure i'll ever be a full cloth person so was going to take a few days worth of normal nappies then will buy some over there. Does an 8 month old need sunglasses? Fab idea on the muslin and shade for pushchair. Am going to crete in june so quite warm. Can anyone suggest insect repellent? Thanks. X

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:20 pm

You can get baby sunglesses.
I am a travel light person, never taken a steriliser just used the tablets for bottles as G had stopped bf'ing by her first abroad trip at 5 months.
At 8 months I would say just squishing food with a folk would be ok but that depends on the child. Nappies I out in one of the little childs suitcases and took as hand luggage on the flight :giggle: and apart from a pop up travel cot and some toys that is all we took x

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 pm

what about one of these instead of a booster seat http://www.totseat.com/ we have one for harry and it is so easy to use. xx

then http://www.sunproof.co.uk/store/36-baby ... urple.html for sunglasses. xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 pm

toteseats are great :wink:

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 pm

clothsister wrote: Am not going down the blw route ... so will I need to take some sort of blender or will she be on mushed food by then?

I'd probably either take jars/pouches or ask the in-laws if there is stuff available there, would depend if she's fussy or not ... if I was using purees I don't think i'd bother to make my own on hols, you can get some good organic stuff like Plum or Ella's Kitchen, my Sis uses it, comes in pouches with a screw cap you can re-close. (Don't worry about saying you aren't doing BLW or anything else for that matter, she's your Baby and it's your choice :hug: )

clothsister wrote:Does an 8 month old need sunglasses?

You can get Babybans! Rufus has some, they are cute, but not all babies will keep them on, a widebrimmed hat would be just as good, or the muslin idea.
You can get these all over in the UK ... http://www.banzworld.com/

clothsister wrote:Can anyone suggest insect repellent?

I'd just look in Boots and see what's on offer, just check it's safe for babies. You can get these little repellant things that clip to the pram or cot that aren't lotions, will see if I can find it...

ETA: This thingy ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Lionhear ... d_sxp_f_pt

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler