Shoes leaving bruises :( *mini update P2*

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Shoes leaving bruises :( *mini update P2*

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Okay...

We currently have Isabelle in a pair of clarkes doodles that fasten with a metal clip thing - they're a t-bar shoe as she can't wear mary-jane style fronts due to her slightly podgy feet... But they're leaving bruises on her feet where the strap to fasten them rubs/presses on the top - if they're fastened looser they come off really easily (or are taken off) and uncomfortable for her...

She does have very wide feet and is a G/H width fitting which is a nightmare as some styles don't even go that high :roll:

The trouble is she's got high arches too...

She is bordering between a 6 and a 6.5...

So the question is - which styles suit fat footed children well! I went into clarkes today to ask them to check the shoes and they fit fine apparently, I was offered a swap up to a bigger size or different style (very good of them considering I hadn't brought my receipt and they look a bit battered now!) but I don't think that's going to help as none of their summer shoes seem to suit her feet - they all press on her feet or make them podge out :?

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of making her some felted slippers and sewing leather on the base for in the house shoes and possibly in the garden too but I'm a bit stuck for shoes for nursery... And she doesn't like wearing them now either of course as they hurt her feet after a while :(

I'd be happy to invest in some soft shoes but I can't help feeling they wouldn't last very long with a rough and tumble toddler about!!
I tried getting her some sandals from next but a)I like her to wear a closed shoe for nursery and b) they seem to be an odd size, the 5 was too small and the 6 was WAY too big! :roll: Oh and they made her feet podge too... Can't win...

Any ideas? We don't have a branatos anywhere near and no car either...
Plus I don't want to spend a fortune when she seems to be shooting up the sizes at the moment anyway!

Oh any anything with velcro is out as she just takes them straight off... Why on earth do they make children's shoes with velcro fastenings!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Shoes leaving bruises :(

Postby Shevi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:03 pm

do you have an independant kids shoe shop near you? i have found in the past that they have completely different brands, and therefore completely different fits to the chain ones i have been to...also one of my local ones is amazing when it comes to fitting.

another idea...tho you may not like it

Boys clarks shoes. they often have little trainery type things that aren't really really boyish, but would hoepfully give you a different shape and fit till she changes sizes and probably shape again (and then you will have new problems!!)

shevi (who dispises shoe shoping)

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:05 pm

Hmm no idea really but could you try a pair of crocs, or the supermarket brands to see if they stay on with the strap thing at the back?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:20 pm

I would try an independent shoe shop.

I've personally never been impressed with Clarks - Harry had some which i didn't think fit properly.

Also different brands do fit differently, so maybe the start-rite ones like doodles would fit her better. My niece can never have start-rite as they don't suit the shape of her foot, so I'm sure it happens the other way round too.

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby baby_bufters » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:53 pm

Sounds like DD1s feet...Have never been able to get clarks.
We go to an independent that sell startrite. Only one pair fit her and she has had the same pair twice.

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Georgia has some crocs that she loves, they are just Next ones and only cost £6 I think, other than that what about trainers? We always had problems when Sophie was little as she had podgy feet too :roll: we now have the opposite problem that she is an E fitting but has an even slimmer heel, we have ended up sending her to school in trainers as we have scoured the nORTH-EAST AND STILL NOT GOT ANY SHOES TO FIT HER, THEY ALL SLIP OFF HER FEET WHEN SHE TRIES TO WALK(oooops sorry!!!caps)

I would also suggest going to a shop like Charles Clinkards who sell clarks, startrite and lots of european brands. Good luck :?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Tried ALL SORTS on in Next :roll: but none of them seemed to fit or they didn't have the right size in stock... I tried the crocs alternatives too but they would have just fallen off or been too small...

I've been sent a link to an ecco shoe stockist (not trafford centre hurray!) and I know my mum swears by ecco shoes for her wide feet so they're definately worth a shot... Also I now know where the nearest startrite and independent shoe shops are including charles clinkard - the trafford centre :roll:

So might try and get to the ecco place tomorrow...

Have to say I've been less than impressed with clarkes each time we've gone, but if Isabelle does have wide feet it's not suprising... Actually might ask my mum what she did for my sister who was a H when she was younger...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Mmmm Isabelle has got big feet, Charlotte is a 6f and so we don't seem to have had any problems with shoes really. Her latest pair are a pair of Clarks sandals but I was also going to suggest the Next crocs as these are great for Charlotte putting on and taking off herself - handy when she is continually coming in and going out to the garden all day :roll: , and they are really wide. But you say you have tried these so I don't know.

Good luck with the Ecco stockist, hope you find something to suit.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Lucas has always measured as a H in clarkes too and in fact only the H doodles and 1 particular style of shoe in the H fitting fits (all the other styles are still too tight).

I got him a pair of the mocs (what we call the fake crocs!) and within 20 mins they had rubbed a huge blister on the inside of his foot (so he won't wear them again)

he is currently sporting a pair of tui (sainsburys) doodle style shoes (£2.50 from a little shop in Hyde, am going on wednesday so if you wanted I could pick a pair up for you if you think they wold fit isabelle) and he wears them every day as he says they are 'really comfy'.

no other suggestions I'm afraid as I have just always bought him the same style from clarkes but in bigger sizes (easier for a boy though as 1 pair went with all his clothes!)

jan x

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler