hf1

How long is too long at night?!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

How long is too long at night?!

Postby megansmummy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 am

Darcie has been feeding on and off all night since she was born, she hasnt settled very well between feeds and so as a result we have had very little sleep...

The last two nights she has settled much better between feeds and gone back down either in her little crib or in our bed just fine between feedings which has been great...but then last night she fed at 10pm when we went up to bed, she took one boob and settled into her crib nicely and then she woke at 1.30am to feed and nappy change...then she didnt wake till 8AM! and that was only becuase hubby woke me on his way out to work (mum had the smalls downstairs and ready to go out to school) but all of a sudden i thought that was 6.5hours between feeds :shock: Am thinking I should have woken her up inbetween there somewhere but we were so shattered that I was dead to the world untill hubby woke me...

Im worried the same will happen tonight, would you set your alarm to wake you? Darcie is only 2 weeks old tomorow and im worried it was too long for her to go without milk? I know it was probably a one off but im worried about it none the less...

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How long is too long at night?!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am

I used to set my alarm for the first couple of months. but my two went fed on demand so not sure if you would have to?

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 am

i had problems with ryan he feed every 1 and a half then one night he wet from 1 to 8 in the morning and he did this for 3 day so i asked the HV and they said it was ok and if he was hungry he would wake he did it for another3 night then went back to waking every 1 -2 hours
if your worried do what you think is right

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 am

Some babies have one slightly longer period between feeds once a day but tbh I would probably wake her after 4 hours as she is still so little and you are probably still establishing your supply. Night feeds are very important for this.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 am

I am not sure i would set an alarm, or if i did make it for 4 hours from the last one if your worried? That is personal preference though, i never did set alarms for mine and was just happy i got more sleep :lol:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:26 am

when ds was in scbu, they told me not to let him go over 4 or 5 hours without feeding in the daytime but he was littler..was released at 1 week old. to be honest though i personally wouldn't wake her... if she's sleeping she'll be using less energy than when awake so if it were me i'd think 6.5h is okay, but wouldn't let it go much beyond that. i always just fed mine on demand. if she's hungry she'll wake.

eta: the 4/5 hour guideline we were given was because he was being syringe / tube / spoon / cup fed as he wouldn't latch on so as much as i offered it, he never at that stage was having :bf: , so they gave us that guideline so we knew better when to get out the feeding equipment. when he finally started :bf: it was only ever when he wanted it, i never woke him to feed. by 6 weeks he was sleeping through 7-7 and never got a night feed after that.
Last edited by tiyuricc on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:28 am

Oscar went through a period like that for a few months. He used to sleep anywhere from 12.00-1am onwards to 7-8am. I thought it was great and that he would always be like that :giggle: I never woke him as I figured he would wake if he was hungry and he did feed all evening so obviously had taken enough. :D

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am

I never let my littlies at that age sleep more than 5 hours but do what you feel comfortable with :hug:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 am

charlibunny wrote:I am not sure i would set an alarm, or if i did make it for 4 hours from the last one if your worried? That is personal preference though, i never did set alarms for mine and was just happy i got more sleep :lol:

It is recommended for babies under 4 weeks to go no longer than 4 hours. Once they are over 4 weeks you can leave them a bit longer if you want.

If your baby is younger than 4 weeks, then it is a good idea to wake baby at least every 4-5 hours at night to nurse if he does not wake on his own. If your child is older than 4 weeks, you can allow baby to sleep as long as he wants at night as long as he is peeing, pooping, and gaining weight within normal parameters.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler