Postby monsterm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 am

LLL say no longer than 5 hours up to 12wks

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How long is too long at night?!

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 pm

I think it depends on how big your baby is too, and how much they feed during the day. My DD went pretty much 5 hours a night from the day she was born, and I never woke her for a feed (I couldn't, even when I tried to do dream feeds, she just wouldn't wake up for them!). She would cluster feed before bed though, and then have a 40 min feed in the night.

She was 8lb 1oz at birth though so was bigger and probably had a bigger stomach so could go longer. If I had a small baby (say 6lb at birth) then I would possibly be inclined to wake them every 4-5 hours initially.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 pm

We were getting 3 hrs between feeds at night for the first couple of weeks and then I think it was from about a month she settled into 11-5am (cluster feeds upto 11pm) and then back off till 8ish... I'd wake her if I was you after 4 hrs as the others have said. A one off probably won't hurt but you wouldn't want her doing that everynight not whilst you are still establishing supply

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:17 pm

I learnt the hard way not to let Noah sleep longer than 3-4 hours, he lost weight on numerous occasions and we had to work really hard to re-establish my supply, some babies will be fine sleeping longer but I personally wouldn't let a baby as young as Darcie sleep longer than 4 hours, I know it seems like such a pain waking them but night geeds are really important for your supply.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:43 am

I think we don't give babies enough credit when it comes to BF, we trust them to eat enough when doing BLW but not on deciding how often to take milk. DD slept from 9pm - 5.30am from 4 weeks and was fine. My supply also stayed good. Babies are pretty good at demanding milk when they need it.

As someone said before tho do what u are most comfortable with. maybe if it continues you could sleep through one night and wake baby the next. Don't underestimate the effect sleep deprivation can have on your health and in turn your milk supply.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:28 am

Kellymom says no longer than 4 hours for the first 6 weeks. You can't feed too much but you can feed too little. Mum and baby's sleep cycles are designed to be in tune with each other and co-sleeping works best for a good balance between feeding and sleeping.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks all...well it was a one off and last night we were back to pretty much all night feeding..my main concern was it impacting on my supply as well as Darcie getting dehydrated!

When we co-sleep she pretty much feeds all night as she is next to me and we just latch/unlatch as she wants...seems easiest that way really!

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler