hf1

Unresponsive episodes

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Unresponsive episodes

Postby HighlandMum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Sandy scared the living daylights out of me yesterday.

We were in town and he was sleeping in the buggy. I had periodically been peeking at him (mum was pushing, me walking alongside) and he was fast asleep. Just before we got back to the car i checked him again and he was just laying there eyes wide open and totally glazed over - i swear to god he looked like he was dead. I said his name, once, twice, three times, took his hand and said his name again louder (by this point mum was welling up but i remained calm). I think i said his name maybe 6-7 times and was really loud and also squeezing his hand before he came round and was really upset and crying. We are speaking maybe 10-20 seconds but it felt like an age. There have been a couple of times where i have checked him when i go to bed and he has been sat bolt upright in his cot with his eyes wide open like this, so i dont know if this was another case of this and he was sleeping or something else.

Are these night terrors? Part of me thinks it maybe is and is quite normal, but i have to look out for patients having TIAs at work and it was almost like thats what was happening. I dont know anything about pead nursing at all, my comfort zone is geriatrics.

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Unresponsive episodes

Postby simlou » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Okay I'm no expert but it does sound like night terrors to me. My niece suffers from them and she is exactly like you described, eyes open but none responsive.

May be worth mentioning it to doctor/health visitor just to put you mind at rest

:hug: they can be scary to experience :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:21 pm

I thought night terrors are when they wake screaming but you can't get through to them that they're ok... Or they are sometimes screaming in their sleep :-? Maybe contact your GP?

Sounds scary though :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Sound so scary. It could be night terrors. Toby used to have them when he was tiny although he did the whole screaming thing as well. His eyes were wide open like you describe and was completely unaware of anything when I spoke to him, just screamed the house down. Would be worth getting him checked though - just for your own peace of mind. :hug:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 pm

maybe you should get him checked at the gp?

for a different point of view, and not anything that i know about ... but someone i work with has a form of epilepsy (can't remember if it's called grand mal or petite mal)... and he just glazes over while you speak to him, can last a few seconds to a couple of minutes. when he comes around he either just continues where he left off, or occasionally looks quite confused but i can imagine as a child it may well be frightening.

it's probably not that, but might be worth ruling out.

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:27 pm

sometime my niece does scream but other times she is just in a daze like state, sitting bolt upright in her bed. They've also caught her sleep walking - stood in bathroom with her eyes open etc but still very much asleep. Just wanted to say that I don't think night terrors always have the terror bit!

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks ladies. Amanda that had crossed my mind too that it was possibly a petit mal. I *think* i am just going to monitor him and see if there are any further episodes, if there are i will go to the gp and if not i will just mention yesterdays one to the hv when she comes to weigh Scarlett again.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:31 pm

My first thought was petit mal too but I wasn't there...

Massive hugs, I guess it depends what your GP is like but ours always say they'd rather see you and get things checked and reassure you if it's nothing, than miss a potentially serious problem if that makes sense? And peace of mind is not to be sneezed at either :hug:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:33 pm

It could be a 'night terror' or absence seizures are possible.
However, there are also some children who sometime are asleep with their eyes open (like sleep walking) and like if you wake a sleep walker they can be confused / frightened / disoriented. When Ewan co-sleeps he sometimes sits bolt upright but is still asleep. Worth mentioning to the HV or GP though, if only to put your mind at rest.

:hug:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler