Postby Steph » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Sounds scarey, I would mention to hv :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Unresponsive episodes

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:37 pm

sim wrote: When Ewan co-sleeps he sometimes sits bolt upright but is still asleep.

DH does this at times, especially if he has something on his mind (e.g. he did it three times last night even shouting once, and his SIL is coming on Monday!)

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 pm

tiyuricc wrote:maybe you should get him checked at the gp?

for a different point of view, and not anything that i know about ... but someone i work with has a form of epilepsy (can't remember if it's called grand mal or petite mal)... and he just glazes over while you speak to him, can last a few seconds to a couple of minutes. when he comes around he either just continues where he left off, or occasionally looks quite confused but i can imagine as a child it may well be frightening.

it's probably not that, but might be worth ruling out.

The above was my first thought too. I have seen a lot of petite mals (and grand mals) through work and they are as described. That would be why I come to that thought though.
There could be other reasons as others have said. No harm getting him checked out anyway :hug: :hug:

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Thankyou all for your replies. I will make an appointment to see the doctor this week i think. Im usually the sort of person never to bother with the doctor (typical nurse!) but i just have a wee niggle in the back of my mind about this for some reason :(

I guess it could be that the stress of the new baby is a factor? I noticed at bathtime he has a wee bit of exema like dry skin on his back and my skin always flares up when im anxious about things.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Bless him :hug:
I think if you have a niggle hun definately get an appointment made. You won't feel happy unless you do!

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:54 pm

You're doing the right thing getting it checked out for sure. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing though. Kerr sometimes sleeps with his eyes open, and like you say it's frightening. I'd be more worried about petit mal if it had happened when he was awake, but definitely would take him to the doctor if only to put your mind at rest :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 pm

I had Petie Mal as a child, I was about 4 or 5 I had lots of episodes like what you have described and one where I was foaming at the mouth :-? That one caused me to be admitted to hosp and put on mediation and i have never had an episode since!!
I would take him to the doctor just to be on the safe side
:hug: :hug: :hug: It must have been awful for you & your mum to see

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I would go to the gp. It's worth keeping a bit of diary of how often they happen, what he is doing at the time, whether u can think of any precipitating factors, how long they last and what happens, what he is like after they happen and how long it is before he is back to his usual self. It would be good to film one on your phone if possible as well. Could be any of the things mentioned already.:hug:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm

:hug: :hug: What they all said hun. Always good to be cautious. Hope you're all ok :hug:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler