Dont know what to do? Toddler eating habits

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Dont know what to do? Toddler eating habits

Postby zoeyboo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:59 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:
No real advice, just wanted to say it's nothing you are doing, I think most kids go through this phase at some point.

I'm not saying any of this is the right thing to do or suggesting you should do it, but wanted to share our experience (remember this was before internet access was mainstream so no forums, online advice etc) but wanted to share our experience so you know it's not just your DD ...

I remember Jack at 4 would eat Coco Pops, Chicken Nuggets Happy Meal and Lasagna (only if cooked by DH's Mum and in a small dish separate from anyone else's) ... that's it, nothing else, he would point blank refuse all other foods.
We tried everything, offering food & letting him eat what he liked, making him stay at the table til he'd at least tried something, bribing with dessert, withholding dessert, even saying it was that or nothing as the GP had said 'he'll eat if he's hungry enough' :roll:

In the end what worked for us was taking him to the supermarket & letting him choose his foods & yes it was 99% processed stuff but if he'd eat we were happy, so we had for example Chicken Dinosaurs & other breaded shapes, wizards, teddies, fishfingers, Walls Balls (sausage) and then Potato Waffles, Smiles & Alphabites and then frozen Brocalli & Cauliflower ... we called it 'Children's Food' ... each night he could pick his own dinner but it had to include a meat or fish thing, a potato/rice/pasta thing & a veg thing ... I'd then cook it & he'd have a go at eating it... over time he got better & I'd introduce other things, carrots/sweetcorn etc & if he was allowed to coat them in Ketchup he'd eat it begrudgingly ... we'd have our 'Grown'Up' dinner later while he was still awake, he started to come into the kitchen while we were eating & ask what things were, what does that taste like etc ... so to begin with we said things like 'oh you won't like it, it's special grown up food, not for little children etc' and he'd beg to try it & little by little he decided he liked things like Spag Bol & Lasagna ... so we started to have them on set nights, Monday = Spag Bol for example and we'd invite him to have dinner with the grown-ups rather than on his own & that worked great, within 3 months he was eating with us 3 nights a week & we worked on this until he very seldom had 'children's food' anymore ...

With him it was partly about texture, anything with a skin, grapes, peas, sweetcorn, apples etc he hated & isn't all that keen even now ... but a lot I think was about control, letting him chose & giving him an element of control back (while still making sure his meals were balanced) seemed to do the trick far better than when we were battling with him.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 pm

There is a great cook book called "easy food for kids" published by ryland peters and small. I got it online from the book people (it was really cheap!). It has lots of really good sensible recipes for breakfast, soups and snacks, lunchboxes, hot dishes, puddings and teatime treats.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Just another thought. Have you tried getting her involved in the cooking at all?

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:06 pm

ladybird wrote:Just another thought. Have you tried getting her involved in the cooking at all?

Yep she cooks with me every night pretty much, helps me with lunch and b'fast and i tend to always give her a choice aswell, with b'fast and lunch, and sometimes tea, she is very good a chopping soft foods and loves to stir etc, take things that i need from fridge etc i have done this from a young age as i always wanted her to have a good relationship with food x

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler