hf1

3 yr olds behaviour.

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

3 yr olds behaviour.

Postby fleur08 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 am

im after advice on a friends 3yr old boy....
shes always complaining about his behaviour, he spits, growls, throws things ,gives evil & i do mean realy evil stares at people, always pushes & snatches stuff of other kids.
we meet 1 x a week and shows this behaviour most times, along with being quite moody or just too quiet for someone his age, he never seems to be a happy sort of kid, more sort of moody & sullen.

my dd is a happy -go lucky kinda girl,gettin involved with most people,laughing and chatting..... my friends lo just seems,,well... weird.
at what point would you think there is a problem? his speech & understanding are fine .
im just at a loss as to what to suggest to her, i keep trying to tell her that its quite normal for some of it ,he has 2 sibblings that are older so she does know roughly what to expect.

im going to suggest she sees a H.V for a chat,but not sure that she will go along.
what would you do/think?

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: 3 yr olds behaviour.

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Not sure what to suggest really. Is it that she is unable to control his behaviour or do you think there is a medical reason for it? I think HV is a good port of call but if she doesn't think there is a problem then she probably wont go as you say.

Sorry no help really but didn't want to leave your post unanswered.

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby fleur08 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:36 pm

thanks for replying, she kinda feels that she lets thing slide -although ive seen her bellow at him and she restrains him on her lap when we are around and he acts up - but weather thats consistent i don know.
he just seems like an odd kid, hes never been the bubbly happy type that you see, all the kids i know are friendly,happy & keen to interact with known adults- he doesnt realy make any effort like that.

will see if i can talk her into seeing the h.v.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:41 pm

not sure about the rest of it, but i thought i'd answer regarding your comment that he doesn't interract with a known adult. my dh's niece has just turned 4, i've seen her virtually every week since she was born. she still won't speak to me, and only in the last couple of months has she started speaking when i'm in the same room as her, if i left the room she'd be all bubbly and normal, and then go quiet as soon as i reenter.

no idea why, but that's just the way she is. used to be like that with dh but warmed to him earlier than warming to me.

some kids don't want to interract with other adults. i wouldn't be worried about that side of things.

eta: my ds is a very serious chap. always has been since birth, difficult to get smiles from etc. he's much better now but still reverts to that if there's someone outside of immediate family there.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I work in CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health) and although i work with the most severe end of the spectrum i know there are clinics that work with mild issues. Sleep problems, eating problems, aggressive behaviour. things that are normal, but at a more extreme end of normal iyswim! They would probably do some thinking with parents and some play with the child to work out a way of helping to manage the behaviour and think why its happening. Its probably something very ordinary that just needs a little nudge.

Such a tricky position to be in and i really feel for you. Hope you can help her!

xx

My avatar
stacey10782010
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby stacey10782010 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 pm

my eldest stepson has slight autisic tendancies,some similar to what u mentioned.gives evils,doesnt look people in the eye,moody,very bad temper.he goes to a normal school and just needs a little extra support to communicate.i know its awful to label children,i know this all to well as my 12yr old has adhd,nobody would know unless i told u as its mainly the attention part that affects her,she has medication for during school time.we dont tell people unless we have to because they would judge her.But its always best to find these things out early so they can get the extra help they need.Dosnt meen there a bad un like some people may think,rebecca is a lovely,loving bright girl,a lovely singing voice,shes sang in the le madeline church in paris,im so very proud :D

Return to Baby and Toddler