hf1

Any left handers out there

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Any left handers out there

Postby angelsquidge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:38 pm

DH, both his brothers and DS1 are lefties! None of them have ever had anything special and have just learned to use right handed versions of things.

We have got DS1 a left handed hand writing pen as they're teaching them cursive writing at school which he really struggles with when using a normal pen/pencil. He's also dyspraxic and has hyper-flexi in his hands so the left handed pen (it's an ergonomic one) has really helped him.

He can't use left handed scissors as he's been taught in school to use right handed ones.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 pm

twinkletot wrote:Nathan seems to be ambidextrous (I am in a few ways too). He uses his left hand to draw and 'write' and also uses a knife and fork left handed. Scissors he swaps and changes hands and other stuff he uses his right hand. I haven't seen him have any difficulties as yet.

I think he's actually left handed. True ambidextrous people can use either for everything just as comfortably. They're also more likely to have ADHD and other difficulties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambidexterity
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35062930/ns ... parenting/

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm

DH is ambi, but he had to be, he fell out of a tree as a kid and both arms were in a cast but his right was for much longer so he taught himself to use his left hand. I did hear him say to our brother in law when he thrashed him at darts that he would give him a chance by using his left time, so I felt obliged to shout to BIL that he wasn't giveing him a chance he is ambi :giggle:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 pm

My Mum is pretty much ambidextrous too - again because she had to be, she was forced to learn to write with her right hand and pretty much do everything with her left hand tied behind her back. What is funny though is when setting the table in their house you set my Mum's right handed and my Dad's left handed even though they are actually the other way around :giggle:

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

:wave: Yes I'm left handed, but not very left handed... I use scissors in my right hand. I think the problem with left handers and scissors isn't the size of the holes, but more the way the blades are attached. If you hold some scissors in your left hand, you'll see what I mean. A right hander can see the cut they are making, a left hander can't, well not very easily anyway. I think I tried using left handed scissors once and they didn't actually cut the paper, just folded it :hohoho: but a true left hander using left handed scissors should be fine. HTH.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

nappynutter wrote:
twinkletot wrote:Nathan seems to be ambidextrous (I am in a few ways too). He uses his left hand to draw and 'write' and also uses a knife and fork left handed. Scissors he swaps and changes hands and other stuff he uses his right hand. I haven't seen him have any difficulties as yet.

I think he's actually left handed. True ambidextrous people can use either for everything just as comfortably. They're also more likely to have ADHD and other difficulties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambidexterity
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35062930/ns ... parenting/

Interesting, I always took it to use either hand but not necessarily for everything! Maybe he is a leftie then!

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 pm

twinkletot wrote:Interesting, I always took it to use either hand but not necessarily for everything! Maybe he is a leftie then!

Lots of lefties use their right hands for some things. DD1 does. :D

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 pm

I've learned to cope with peelers and can openers- the thing that gets me is those ice cream scoops where you squeeze the handle to have the ball of ice cream come out- those don't work very well in the opposite hand!!!! :giggle:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler