hf1

Meconium?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Meconium?

Postby flutterby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 pm

I am full of questions tonight, and again not sure if I am posting in the right place, but I was wondering, didn't think I'd have to worry about nappies and meconium as my hospital supplied fuzzis for your stay when Jak was born, but I thought I'd just check with my MW that they still did, well they don't, they give you an XS fuzzi which they put on straight after they are born and that is it! So after all that, my question is, does meconium stain, I really hate paper liners, I think it's as Jak seems to not get on with them, so I may not have any problems, but I's really rather not use them, I don't really plan on using fleece liners with my nappies (most are pockets so don't need it) I have 5 and I could take these, but if she's ok without and my nappies won't stain I'd prefer her to go straight into her nappy no liner in the hopes that her bum gets used to them! WDYT??

I'm also worried about washing them, as I'll be in the hospital I will need someone else to wash them (either my mum or OH) can I just whack em in the wet bag or will they need rinsing, I've not done cloth with NB poo so I really don't have a clue, Jaks poos just shake of so thats what I do?

This is really stressing me out and I don't know why, I guess it's because I didn't expect to have to sort it, I'm almost tempted to use disposable ( I have bought some just incase I can't get someone to wash my nappies whilst in hospital) but I really don't want to run the risk of her getting used to them!!!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Meconium?

Postby Louise » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 pm

I bought some dark coloured fleece liners to put inside my nappies as I was worried about stains too but TBH I found that normal poo stained worse than the meconium anyway. I never bothered rinsing nappies, just popped them straight in the wetbag/bucket. If you do get any stains I bought a fab veg based soap that is a great stain remover from Twinkle.

http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatal ... ories.html

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:00 pm

If it were me I would use the disposable liners (the Boots ones don't feel papery - but neither of mine or the baby I mind have been bothered by the more papery liners). I didn't use cloth with meconium poo, but don't imagine it would come off a fleece liner or nappy very easily. And if someone else is going to be washing the nappies, it will make it as easy as possible for them as you can dispose of all the poo and they just have the nappy to wash, with no rinsing required (hopefully anyway)

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:04 pm

I agree with Louise, normal poo is worse for stains, I didn't have any probs with meconium staining :wink:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:34 pm

All sounds well then, I guess any stains will sun out anyway! Like I say most of my nappies are pockets anyway, and I'm sure the fleece on these won't stain!! Thanks for quick replies!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 pm

I agree with PP meconium isn't that bad and doen't really stain I think the mustardy coloured BF poo stains more.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:54 am

Im actually really impressed that your hospital does cloth - when Evie was in hospital recently the nurse looked at me like I had 2 heads when she saw her cloth bum :evil:

Anyway, as others have said, perhaps a paper liner would be the best suggestion as meconium is so sticky and thick it could just be flushed away and make it easier for whoever is washing your nappies.

Sadie xx

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:16 pm

I had absolutely no probs with meconium and I didn't rinse them either. Although all my nappies are fleece lined or I used fleece liners so don't know if it would be different straight onto the nappy but it definately came out of fleece.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Another person here with no prob with meconium poo on fleece liners, it all washed out just fine and cloth in hospital is managble - we were in until Ben was 9 days old and apart from 24 hours in SCBU where cloth isn't allowed he was in cloth the majority of the time.

The yellow poo is far far worse for stains IMO it drove me insain!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler