hf1

Carseat - wwyd

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Carseat - wwyd

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

dd was weighed today and she's tracking the 25th percentile nicely, but it means she's still not quite heavy enough for the next size carseat (which we already have 2 of), and if she keeps tracking that percentile it'll be 3-4 months before she's heavy enough.

problem is she'll be starting nursery in 2 weeks, and we've only got one group 0 carseat. dh does drop off, i do pickup, we need 2 seats.

her weight is 8.56kg, minimum weight for next carseat is 9kg. so there's about a tin of tomatoes in it weight wise.

nursery is 1.1 miles away, only takes a minute or two in the car (no time to walk there/back and get to/from work in time). she'll be going 4 days a week.

i keep changing my mind between thinking with nappy/clothes she'll be very near 9kg, she'll be alright in the bigger seat for one of those trips eacch day and then i flip over to the usual safety conscious me and say, she's not 9kg, no way is she going in the bigger seat. but i don't want to pay £200 for a seat to be used for 3 months for a minute a day. and i don't know what's worse a cheapo carseat that's the right size, or the next size up that we particularly bought after researching the safety aspect of different seats but she's not quite heavy enough for.

we don't know anyone with a group 0 we can borrow either.

so...wwyd?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Carseat - wwyd

Postby justme123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 pm

"I" would use the next stage seat. I'm guessing she's well over the recommended minimum age for it, so in terms of head / muscle control etc there wouldn't be an issue? I had the opposite problem - large babies who were too heavy / long for their seats before they reached the minimum age for changing, which I would think is actually more risky.

Do your next stage seats recline / face backwards? That might make it feel a little more secure?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm

I moved RIley before she was big/heavy enough.

My avatar
Saz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Saz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Would the nursery be agreeable to you leaving the car seat there so it's there for you at pick up time?

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Saz wrote:Would the nursery be agreeable to you leaving the car seat there so it's there for you at pick up time?

I was going to say that, we had the same problem with the child minder/me with pick ups and drops offs. They had an area to leave buggys and car seats.

My avatar
lacemakingmum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby lacemakingmum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Saz wrote:Would the nursery be agreeable to you leaving the car seat there so it's there for you at pick up time?

We used to do this with both Peter and my niece so that if my brother got stuck on the motorway I could collect my niece too.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 pm

hrmm good idea, i hadn't thought of that. they have a very small shed that people leave buggies in. not sure if there's any extra space, but can definitely investigate that.

thank you ladies.

Return to Baby and Toddler