hf1

Do you garden whilst baby sleeps

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Do you garden whilst baby sleeps

Postby usinukveg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 pm

So, let's face it, I'm a first time mum and have no idea what I'm doing. It's a beautiful day outside though and I'd like to go and pull some weeds. Do you ever leave your lo sleeping inside whilst you're outside? We don't have a baby monitor or anything like that. I'm not too concerned because he is usually fine for an hour nap....but would it be bad parenting to do this?

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Do you garden whilst baby sleeps

Postby laceybat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:26 pm

i use to put ryan inthe buggy or moses barket and went out with him in that

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure. It would depends on how well you could hear him if something happened/how big the house and garden are etc.
Dawn gave up naps before a year old and we had a poxy yard back then so I've never had to worry about it :giggle:

I have nipped to the house next door when she was younger and in bed :oops: , but I took the monitors (We spent about half hour the first time we did it, testing we could hear well on them :giggle: ) But it was all terraced houses in our old house, so their livingroom was only really another few feet from mine anyway, iygwim!

Does his bedroom look over the garden? Could you leave the window open?

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:36 pm

That's a good idea to leave the window open. Our cot rolls so I could just roll him over straight under the window where I could easily hear him. I hesitate to bring him out with me, only because he's one of those easily overstimulated babies that refuses to go to sleep if there's anything at all to look at.

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:36 pm

I used to do it, but I did have a monitor (our house was big & the garden was half acre) with my first- when E was born you didn't need a monitor outside you could here her a mile away!! But yes would leave her in to sleep & take K & the dogs out to play....

I'd leave Arlo in & go out, just not had the weather yet!! :giggle:

Just to add may be worth getting a monitor even 2nd hand so you & your partner can still enjoy summer evenings outside - I love nothing more than getting the kids to bed & having an energetic game of ball with the dogs after a long day!! :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:43 pm

I would do it don't see any reason why no, not like your lo is going to get up and run about the house is it. Just pop in and check every now and again. We have never used baby monitors, don't really believe in them, I have bat like hearing. We did use them at our old house if we were sitting in next doors garden of an evening but that was it (kids rooms at the back of house so we could hear them with or without)

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 pm

WTS. I think I'd want to be able to hear if they woke up though - whether that was via a monitor or an open window or just because they're close enough :-)

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 pm

I do when I have monitor with me x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:00 pm

I do it, but I have a monitor. TBH, even if I didn't have one, I don't think there's anything wrong with popping outside to pull a few weeds or hang the washing up or whatever - especially since you can leave the windows open to hear him if he wakes. It's not like you're thinking of leaving him while you do the Tesco shop! If there was a problem, you could just nip upstairs and sort him out.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler