hf1

How do you co-sleep? - question pg 2

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: How do you co-sleep

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:39 pm

sorry i don't do a duvet if he's in with me. I just wear my dressing gown so i can un tie it if he wants fed. Our house is quite toasty and holds heat well.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Co-sleeping is generally safer than LO being alone in a cot or moses basket if you are also BFing, provided that you don't smoke, aren't hugely obese (though tbh me being overweight has never really been an issue with co-sleeping), aren't drinking or taking drugs that would sedate (recreational or prescribed).

There's a lowered risk of SIDS when you co-sleep and it helps regulate heart beat and breathing, sleep cycles begin to correspond and synchronise between mother and baby.
Co-sleeping - http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp
Sleep safety - http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070600.asp

I did have a pillow, but just one rather than two and LO was very far away from it. I think blankets are safer as well than a duvet for yourself and LO. I'd wear a thin cardi and t-shirt or vest and make sure top half was well wrapped up so I could have the covers down low, but still BF easily.

DH is talking about making extra holes in the cot so we can adjust the height especially and said our bed changes height too. It's perfectly possible and safe to co-sleep in your main bed though, just we are using a cot as well because we need to keep Ella away from the baby when she still wants to sleep in our bed. It kind of depends on the design of bed you have too and how it will line up against a wall. The bed we used to have was a metal frame one, which was one reason it just didn't suit having Ella between me and the wall, but now we have a kingsize one that doesn't have a bottom baseboard.

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:58 pm

When Tyler was tiny I used to sleep with him on my side of the bed (not against a wall) as dh is a smoker and a very heavy sleeper. I used to have him so his head was about level with my chest so away from the pillows and he had his own blanket. I did what a previous poster said and made sure dh had the majority of the duvet so I just had the edge of it. I always slept curled around him with my arm stopping him from falling off the bed.

Now he is older he generally sleeps in his cot but when he is in with us he sleeps in the middle of the bed and dh and I both cling onto the edges of the bed :roll: :giggle:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:59 pm

I think what im going to do is start the night with him in the basket to see if he will settle in it, but make the bed baby friendly incase he doesnt. this is the alcove our bed is in. DH sleeps by the wall, and where im sat is a ledge that goes down half the length of the bed and thats where his moses basket is on atm. the ledge is the same height as the bed, but there is a little gap between the bed and the ledge.
What im thinking of doing is blocking the gap between the bed and the ledge with rolled up blankets so he cant get anything trapped down there, and then turnign my pillows sideways, and shoving htme int he gap between the bed and the headboard so that they dont move at all during the night, and then blocking the gap in the headboard with a piece of wood and letting oliver sleep up int hat gap. popped a pic of the alcove and my bed so that you know what i mean. Does that sound safe/a good plan to you?

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:00 pm

If you want to co-sleep properly it might be casting your eyes over these books? We stock both of them in our LLL library and they have fantastic reviews from their readers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleeping-Your-B ... 767&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Bed-Benef ... gy_b_img_b

My avatar
NaturalNursery
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: How do you co-sleep? - question pg 2

Postby NaturalNursery » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:58 pm

We co-slept with E right from the start. She had very bad wind so for the first few weeks she actually slept ON me - I was propped up in bed.

After that, she slept directly on the bed. I did have a pillow but sort of sqashed it behind my head. I made sure my quilt was kept away from her - she was in a baby bag of her own so didn't need any extra bedding.

She was on the edge of the bed, rather than in the middle as we do have a quilt and I didn;t want her to get caught in that.

When she started moving around, I got a folding bed rail to stop her rolling out but she never really moved far from my boob!

HTH

Axx

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: How do you co-sleep? - question pg 2

Postby beffys » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I think it's difficult to cosleep with a moses basket. We tried it at first and it just didn't work for us. You just need to experiment with what works for you. Ella would nap in the moses basket during the day in the same room as me or would nap on me in sling or just sitting on the couch, but she wouldn't sleep in the moses basket at night well and she hated the cot especially at first it was so big and roomy. She always hated her cot unless the side was off it.

I think so long as you can bridge the gap safely between the ledge and your bed, it just depends what baby is actually sleeping on and how level that is then to your own bed. Whether it can be weight bearing for you as well if you shuffle or nudge over. The side arrangement is great though. We had our mattress on the floor for a while when between getting a new bed and it's good because you can shuffle back and forth to baby, but still have your own space.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 pm

red_dwarf wrote:
Nic_1 wrote:Hiya, I ve never co slept as like for you I Didn t feel like I wanted to, so I m no use with that. I know from other posts that your LO has reflux so I was just going to say about positioning for him that might help him settle. I m not trying to put you off just giving other options if you re not keen.
I really found raising the end of the Moses basket, swaddling my LO and laying her slightly on her left side rather than her back really helped her settle. Some people say right side but left always worked for me. I used to kind of prop a blanket at her feet to make sure she couldn't t roll onto her tummy without me knowing. Some people also say on their tummy helps but I wasn t brave enough to do that either.
I suppose I m just thinking if you re not keen one thing to consider is how long you want to do it, as children with reflux don t take kindly to any kind of sleep training type things when they re a bit older.
I can t rem how old your LO is but I think we saw more unsettled times at 6/8 weeks i e when they spend more time awake.
I hope you find a good solution for you.
Nic xxxx

I already have the top of the basket propped up, and place him on his side when he is being unsettled. He automatically bends his knees when he is on his side so I dont have to really worry about him rolling onto his front so much.
I think part of the problem is that he thrashes arround when he is just starting to wake (if he dropps his dummy for example) and i think he might be smacking the side of the moses basket and waking himself up more IYKWIM.

Yup I know that feeling both of mine did that too. They get better the more they get of their arms.
I hope you get some more sleep tonight, good luck xxxx

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler