hf1

Help - glass test on rash

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Help - glass test on rash

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 am

when doing glass test are spots meant to go completely skin coloured so you can no longer see them or just paler?

*think* this is just post-mmr rash... was warned it might come up 2 weeks after jab, and it will be 2 weeks tomorrow... but can still see spots a bit with glass so not sure if i should be worrying.

My avatar
AAMum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Help - glass test on rash

Postby AAMum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 am

How scary. Don't know the answer but I would call NHS direct or your GP to check.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 am

they should disappear but that doesn't mean its meningitis if it doesn't. Best to get it checked out though.
Roo had the pin prick rash all up his legs as a reaction to the chicken pox virus. Does your lo have any other symptoms of anything else wrong?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 am

There are a lot of other symptoms of Meningitis and the rash is usually the last thing to appear, if it does at all. Other symptoms include stiff neck, bright lights being painful. My friend's DS has just recovered from MenC and he had no rash at all, but was really floppy, wouldn't eat, and basically reverted back to being a new born for a good two or three weeks :shock:

If you're in any doubt, contact GP or NHS Direct hun.

ETA:
Here's the Meningitis charty we have raised money for over the last 10 years. They have a list of symptoms etc.
http://www.meningitis-trust.org/meningi ... -symptoms/

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:05 am

she's had a terrible cough & snotty nose for week or two (thanks to her big brother) then started getting fevers on sat (read online that post-mmr rash can be accompanied with fever). few spots yesterday on belly and back, last night few on her neck and today tons on belly, back and in nappy area and some on her face which are actually giving her the appearance of being beaten up. timing does fit in with her having had the mmr, and the nurse at the time made the point that she might get a measles-type rash in 2 weeks so i guess it must be common if they warn you. but i've never seen anyone with measles and all the photos online look so different to each other. could also just be hives from the cough. she doesn't seem bothered by it.

i'm a bit extra wary because little boy i know ended up in intensive care with multiple organ failure and partial paralysis with meningitis that had been missed by 3 different gp's because his rash just looked like a normal rash, not the dark puple one you'd expect.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 am

crossed posts with stacey...thanks. will look at the link

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 am

My best friend ended up in a coma and then passing away because of Meningitius, which is why we raise money for it. Only charity I really donate too :oops: Her parents thought it was just a cold, and by the time the rash appeared it was too late for her :( Was her birthday a couple of days ago too...

ETA: Sorry, I'm not trying to scare you here! :oops: :oops: As I said before, my friend's DS is perfectly normal after having it, and his GP's missed it too! They sent him home claiming "Viral infection" before his mum finally took him to A&E who were shocked to find the GPs hadn't done any Meningitis tests at all :nono:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 am

I always err on the side of caution with that kind of thing. if in doubt best to get it checked out :hug: :hug: :hug: hope all is well.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 am

How good are your GP's? I'd ring mine, explain the situation and get an emergency appointment. Mine are really understanding about this kind of thing and never make you feel like a time waster :hug:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler