hf1

Really need help

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Really need help

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

pippa has gone from being the sweetest most well behaved little girl into a nightmare and i don't know what to do with her. i don't like telling her she's naughty as i don't believe its a good thing to say and i refuse to smack her as i really don't agree with it, so struggling to discipline her. today we went to the shop and dh took the pushchair to the car. i was paying and pippa was stood next to me and she then ran straight towards the door and outside, outside is a really busy road and i admit i shouted at her and told her she could have been hurt really badly, but she just laughed at me. i really don't know what to do with her, she's started hitting and kicking me and i tell her not to because it hurts and makes me sad, and if i ask her if she wants to hurt me she says no but keeps doing it anyway. i'm turning into one of those mums you see shouting at there children in the street, she really knows what buttons to press. any suggestions gratefully received as i'm at a loss :cry:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Really need help

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 pm

:hug: :hug:
It is an age thing, pushing boundaries to see how far she can go. Tonight Gracie refused to hold my hand walking into Tesco and I refuse to let her walk in there or along a street without holding my hand so I stopped got down to her lever and told her she must hold my hand to stay safe, I have been doing that for the past year or so and 99% of the time it works. Re the running away, I make sure I can't be in that situation, she either holds my hand or is with DH or me. I don't know the answers I am afraid but I do know they all go through this phase to one degree or another, thankfully we get of lightly but it is frustraiting none the less x

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 pm

The only trick I have but apart from the running away mine arnt too bad yet. But I get down really close in their face and say 'look at mummy' and usually they do anything to avoid eye contact. So I say it again and if they don't look at me I hold their jaw (gently) so they have to look at me. Then I say 'mummy doesn't like that' or explain what they have done is wrong. Then I ask for a cuddle and say 'mummy knows you are sorry. I love you too'. It mostly works.

I also set the tone before we go anywhere. So for example if we're about to cross a car park I'll get down into rileys face (she's the problem one with this) and say 'riley you have to hold mummys hand when we"re walking to the car, and if you don't mummy will have to carry you'.

I'm not sure if its that that is working or if its that they haven't reached a properly naughty phase yet.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Oh and I rely on backpack reins a lot, but then I've got the two to control.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:30 pm

gilbertandmartha wrote:Oh and I rely on backpack reins a lot, but then I've got the two to control.

Graxcie has a backpack as well and they are good x

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 pm

No advice but wanted to send :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:34 pm

thanks kirsty and i do keep telling myself she's just testing boundaries, but she's becoming a nightmare. i'm not sure what's going on with her at the moment but she's really clingy and just not herself, she keeps telling me she's naughty and i'm not telling her that and neither is dh. this morning she was her lovely little self then this afternoon just horrible, refusing to sit in the trolley at the supermarket, refusing to walk and eventually throwing herself to the floor. in the end i said if you want to stay there you can but mummy's going home and she ran to me and gave me a cuddle, just in shock how much she has changed. dread to think what she'll be like as a teenager :giggle:
xx

we do have reins but upto now have never needed them as she's always walked so nicely holding my hand, may have to find them for the time being though.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Its is def a age thing, Alesha has been a monkey for the last few weeks, and whats more frustrating is its mainly when we are out, she bit me today, never has she biten me before, i shouted :oops: more out of shock then anything

the getting down to thier level defintly helps, and trying not to let them see your frustration (harder than said i know) it does pass and things will improve with patience, consistancy and calmness (if thats a word :giggle: )

i can deal with the naughtyness (another made up word i think :hohoho: )
its the clingyness thats getting to me, constantly under my feet and wantingto be carried everywhere :roll:

x

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 pm

123princesssammie wrote:Its is def a age thing, Alesha has been a monkey for the last few weeks, and whats more frustrating is its mainly when we are out, she bit me today, never has she biten me before, i shouted :oops: more out of shock then anything

the getting down to thier level defintly helps, and trying not to let them see your frustration (harder than said i know) it does pass and things will improve with patience, consistancy and calmness (if thats a word :giggle: )

i can deal with the naughtyness (another made up word i think :hohoho: )
its the clingyness thats getting to me, constantly under my feet and wantingto be carried everywhere :roll:

x

i know i love giving her cuddles but at the moment every two minutes "cuddle please", and she won't wait was getting a cake out the oven earlier and she had a tantrum because i couldn't give her a cuddle right then, even though i'd said she could have one as soon as i'd got the cake out

at least it isn't only her

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler