hf1

Fed up of the mess

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Fed up of the mess

Postby Shaunie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:17 am

OK so kids are messy, that's absolutely fine and I have no issues with that. Isaac how-ever is another kettle of fish! He will spend time in the playroom, not playing with anything as such but emptying every box, bag, tub, and taking every item of any shelves. he just empties everything onto the floor and it's becomes so messy that it's impossible to actually play in there and takes ages to tidy up again.

I tell him not to do it and that he must put things back before getting something else out but it clearly falls on deaf ears. He's a stubborn feisty spirited boy (much like his Mummy :oops: ) but I really am fed up with clearing away 'deliberate mess' rather than mess through play.

Any tips of what I can do with him? I plan to takcle the playroom today before someone has an accident in there but I know within 24hrs it'll be back to square one.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Fed up of the mess

Postby Annette » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 am

i found exactly this problem, we had a playroom downstairs will all the toys in. But many of them were in easy reach so everything just ended up on the floor and nothing was actually played with.

The only solution i have found is to store all toys now in their bedrooms and we bring downstairs what they want to play with. Ben is too little to bring things down the stairs and actually seems excited when you say, shall we go get such a toy to play with.

They seem to enjoy the toys more and i find it easy to see if something hasn't been played with for a while and suggest that for play (or to get rid of!) rather than evrything being out every day.

I also like that everything goes back upstairs at the end of the day :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 am

We've always had all toys in the front room until the last year or so. The boys can make as much mess as they like, but they have to tidy it all up before dinner time, every single day.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46 am

All of Gracies toys are in her bedroom and she has to help me tidy up, she is an empty outer'r as well and it drives me nuts but she will help tidy most of the time.
No real advise though, sorry x

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 am

Jack used to be like this it's a nightmare!
In the end we had to sort all the toys into different lidded boxes and put them where he couldn't get at them, he then had to ask to get something out & if he wanted to play with something different he had to tidy it all away before he could have the next thing, we also had to say that he could only have a different box after 1/2 hour or he'd keep changing his mind and asking for something different :roll: he got it in the end though!

Return to Baby and Toddler