hf1

Is it normal? (Weight question)

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Is it normal? (Weight question)

Postby tanya » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 pm

DH takes Bella to be weighted once a month, so the HVs can monitor her reflux. Her reflux is under control at the moment, so that isn't part of my worry.

For the last couple of months, Bella's weight gain has slowed down to about 1lb a month. It was a lot more previously as she was born on 25th centile and had made it up to 50th centile. This last month, she has put on 1oz!! So she is still a dinky 18lb 4oz at 9 months. Is this a normal pattern?

She has just started crawling.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Is it normal? (Weight question)

Postby JanX » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:51 pm

I would personally say not to worry about what centile she is on AT ALL, as long as her curve is regular (as in no major spikes or drops) then that is her normal weight gain iyswim.

and 18lbs at 9 months isn't a worry at all imo, my girls are still only 21lbs at 15 months and they don;t look starving in any way! in fact Lauren is quite a chubster!

hth

jan x

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:30 pm

We have scales in the kitchen and would weigh Kayleigh occasionally. She generally stays the same weight for a while, then does some growing and leaps up in weight, then stays like that for another while. At 9 months, Bella might be just having a short break from growing, and then she could just eat like a monster for a few days and magically grow overnight for you.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I seem to remember Charlotte getting to 20lbs around 8 months and staying there for ages, she has then gradually made it up to 30lbs and stuck there so I wouldn't have thought you have anything to worry about, sounds perfectly normal to me.

My avatar
Anig
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Anig » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:04 pm

My niece is a dainty little thing, too - approx the same age/weight as Bella. My niece was born quite small 6lbs 10 1/2 oz and is still petite. One trip to baby clinic, she had even lost an ounce, which freaked my sister a bit, but my neice's activity level had gone up. She's not unhealthy, always happy and is developing as she should.

Don't worry. :)

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:32 pm

As everyone else has said she certainly doesn't sound under nourished, and the centile thing is totally ridiculous, Jak has been on the 98th for months and he is by no means over weight ( i know it sounds like a cliche but he is just big built ) I have a friend whos little girl is over 11 months and only 18lb, so really try not to worry!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm not worried about what she weighs, per se, just the fact she'd only put on 1oz in a month. But, as she has been soooo much more active recently, I should expect that. She did only start crawling just after the last weigh-in.

I'm also not too worried about which centile she's on, just that she keep wobbling between the two, when I was expecting her weight gain to be more even, but as with all things about babies, I guess it's not predictable.

She's happy and healthy and developing well and hitting her milestones, so I'm not worried about her. Just seemed a little strange. Oh and the last time she had such a minute weight gain, the HV bullied me into formula feeding her and that was when she only put on 1oz in a week! Not that I could keep up with BF anyway (real supply problems :(

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:08 pm

tanya2007 wrote:I'm not worried about what she weighs, per se, just the fact she'd only put on 1oz in a month. But, as she has been soooo much more active recently, I should expect that. She did only start crawling just after the last weigh-in.
I've just checked my red book as I remember worrying about this too...
Between 6.5months adjusted age and 9months adjusted age Isabelle actually lost weight (well all of 50grams! - dropped 2 centiles too) :? HV wasn't worried but I BLINKING WAS!!! I tell you I was really concerned, what with starting nursery and the whole weaning adventure I was really worried!!

Of course I was worrying needlessley, and she put on loads between 12months actual and 18months actual age just before she started walking...

Still - it does worry you doesn't it and hopefully Isabelle's example will show it's normal like the others have said :D

My avatar
Liss07
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Liss07 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I think it is quite common with breastfed babies to put on weight rapidly, and then slow down as they hit 6months ish - Carter wasn't quite 20lbs when he turned one, yet I know he is over that now and gaining faster again because I get a dead arm carrying him around these days!

ETA: Sorry just noticed you're no longer breastfeeding, so what I said was pretty much useless :hohoho: that's me all over ;) However I wouldn't worry about it yet either, not if she's active and happy enough :)

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler