Itchy Head?

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Itchy Head?

Postby yellow45 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Hello :wave:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any products to help with my sons itchy head? He mainly scratches it at night and often wakes up with scratch marks that have sometimes bled. I'm not sure if it's a habit thing or whether he really is itchy? I cut his nails almost every night and don't want to put sratch mitts on him as he sucks on his hands to self-settle in the night and I'm too much of a wuss to put them on him in case he wakes up.

Thanks

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Itchy Head?

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Get him checked for nits for starters ;)

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby yellow45 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Definitely not nits. He's only got a very slight covering of hair & there's nothing in there. HIs skin seems a bit dry and flaky but not eczema-like

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:43 pm

You could moisturise with olive oil, that would help cradle cap too. And perhaps use a nail file (soft one, not metal) for his nails, so they're not quite so scratchy as when cutting iykwim.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Sorry - was on my phone so didn't see the age ;)

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby yellow45 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Sorry - was on my phone so didn't see the age ;)

:hohoho: when I first read your comment about nits, I thought 'he's only 6 months old, he couldn't get nits, but then I guess he could' :giggle:

I think it's just dry skin but not sure about olive oil as I'm not keen on the smell. Will try and get some emery boards.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:55 pm

:lol:

Grape seed oil doesn't really have a fragrance and is what they use in baby massage - it's not as greasy as olive oil either and absorbs better into the skin - tesco sell it ;)
Go back to scratch mits if you can or extra-long sleeves with the ends sewn shut... In my experience they just suck the mits :lol:

Use moisturiser when you wash his hair (what little there is!) and make sure you dont' use any Johnsons products on him... Certainly don't bother using baby shampoo if you do already...

Shea butter is fab stuff but quite thick - worth a go though...

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby yellow45 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a go. I've stopped using Johnson's about a week ago and swapped it with an organic body wash and just use water on his head now.

Return to Baby and Toddler