hf1

Dummies

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Dummies

Postby charlibunny » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Ok, the boy won't settle. Just gone against everything I believe in and gave him a dummy. He is sucking it, and It's keeping him quiet which is a shocker but he keeps spitting the thing out then crying? Uggh I really despise the things but if it works.......
Do they spit them out every minute normally?

Please don't start a debate on dummies on them being good or bad, I just want to know if they learn to suck them for a while on their own, and how do I stop him being a baby with one stuck to his face 24/7?

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Dummies

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:12 pm

tabitha has one dexter never did I love it....

she used to pop it out herself every know and then went through a phase of wanting it all the time now she has it less x

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Ruairidh and Kaitlin sucked their thumbs so i gave them dummies to stop the thumbs. I had to find the right shape to help Roo keep it in. At first i used cherry ones then once he had the hang of it i moved onto orthodontic ones.
He would never keep it in if he was hungry though.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:16 pm

I think it takes a couple days for them to learn to keep hold of it :wink:
some babies just need that constant comfort off sucking all the time,
if you really hate them that much then just let baby have it till they hit 6mnonths and then take it away, wont affect there teeth, speech etc then, and as baby will still be little it will be forgotten about in no time x

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Cherry ones are best, Noah cant manage any others, hes had one since 5weeks, but still doesnt keep it in for long. He only has it if im trying to get him to settle, we did the same with Evan and it worked, nap times only if we could, i dont mind them at all though :)

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Def cherry teat for a little baby, Martha wouldn't really take one till 4 weeks, its hard for them to get the hang of :hug: we took it away at 7 months, there's really no need to have a 3 year old with a dummy, if he takes to it and you want rid later just PM me and I'll tell you what we did

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:27 pm

I agree the cherry ones are best to stay in. I tried all the post orthodontic ones but it was the cheap cherry ones that worked the best.
My boys were very 'sucky' and used to use mummy as a dummy - so we resorted to using a dummy.

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:13 pm

definately a god send with sucky babies hun so dont feel bad at all , if it helps comfort him its a good thing , not a bad thing! :wink:

we started off with the avent ones , took them to hosp too much to the midwifes disgust :hohoho: , but the only ones he took to after a few weeks of experimenting were the MaM ones.....i ended up buying a bulk load of 20 (brand new obviously!) from ebay when he was a couple of months for about a fiver!! Lasted us till he gave them up though :giggle:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 am

ryan hade one at 4 weeks as he was a suck baby he would only take the cherry ones as well

if he needs one then that fine i hated the thought of a dummy too but it was the only way to settle him. i wish i had taken it way from him early as he still has it now and it so hard to get him not to have it now

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler