My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Dummies

Postby littlesez » Sun May 01, 2011 6:19 am

Ok my experience. If its worth anything :lol:

Gave a dummy when things were really tough early days :bf: was at the end of my tether due to latch issues. The dummy i imagine made it worse :roll: but i think my nipples would have fallen off otherwise :hohoho:

I would say if you can avoid a dummy do tbh if you can BF as much as poss and sling loads for comfort i honestly think you will find it soooo much better in the long run. It takes them ages to keep it in, some babies just drop them all the time and especially at night then you have to keep going in and giving it back :roll:

Izzy would have her dummy all i day every day since newborn if i had let her :crossbaby: I really regret giving her one now because she has it every night and then i have to take it off her every morning then hide them otherwise we have a nightmare. How do you stop them having it all the time? I have to be strict now but you can't really do that when they are tiny eh? I wish i had never gave her one in the first place i want to take it away but i am dreading it :oops:

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sun May 01, 2011 7:13 am

littlesez wrote:Ok my experience. If its worth anything :lol:

Gave a dummy when things were really tough early days :bf: was at the end of my tether due to latch issues. The dummy i imagine made it worse :roll: but i think my nipples would have fallen off otherwise :hohoho:

I would say if you can avoid a dummy do tbh if you can BF as much as poss and sling loads for comfort i honestly think you will find it soooo much better in the long run. It takes them ages to keep it in, some babies just drop them all the time and especially at night then you have to keep going in and giving it back :roll:

Izzy would have her dummy all i day every day since newborn if i had let her :crossbaby: I really regret giving her one now because she has it every night and then i have to take it off her every morning then hide them otherwise we have a nightmare. How do you stop them having it all the time? I have to be strict now but you can't really do that when they are tiny eh? I wish i had never gave her one in the first place i want to take it away but i am dreading it :oops:

Hey hun, just wanted too say you would be suprised how quickly its forgotten, explain that dummies are for babies and she is a big girl etc etc, let her too put every single one in the bin one morning (main bin not the one in your kitchen) you may get the first tantrum but distraction is the key, and within 2-3 days it will be forgotten about, nighttimes can be a little harder but with lots of cuddles and comfort and repeating "your mummies big girl now" she will be fine, honestly go for it :wink:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun May 01, 2011 8:24 am

What Sammie said. Maddy was about Izzy's age when we weaned her off the dodi. Was a lot easier than expected. Talked to her for a couple of days about how she was a big girl & the dodi is for babies (helps if you know a small baby). Took it off her in the morning when she woke up. At nap times she cried quite a bit but I gave her lots of cuddles. Didn't expect her to go to sleep but she did. Bed time was easier. After a couple of days, she stopped crying & that was that. I did find the first day very hard & I ended up saying to dh at Maddy's bedtime that I would give her the dodi if she asked for it but she never did, thank goodness.

My avatar
stacey10782010
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby stacey10782010 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Harris will only keep a cherry teat in,all the others fall out,takes a while for them to get used to it,if it works it cant be bad :wink:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun May 01, 2011 9:45 pm

We used avent ones, their was a free one in with the steriliser and one evening I just tried it and it worked, he was probably about 4 weeks old. He always had that shape and perhaps he had it for too long, but he was never a sleep sucker. He didn't have it overnight from 4months, naps were just a few sucks and fell out never stirred for it. One day he was playing and it got lost - we were out at my mum's, he searched for it, we searched, it got found and hidden in pocket and that was it no more dummies. Even though I did find a few lying around the place when we got home they were hidden and never found again.

I did find the soother clips a life saver as at least you could trace where the dummy was and they didn't fall on the floor while being held.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 pm

I've had great success with dummies and they were my life savers. I had very sucky babies and without dummies I think my nipples may have fallen off :roll: Hannah had what ever she didn't mind the shape or texture while Phe and Will would only have the cherry kind. For us dummies never caused any problems with BF although I know they can with some bubs. and really we had no dramas with getting rid of them either. They wouldn't be satisfied with a dummy if they were hungry tho and would spit it straight out so maybe if he spits it out sometimes he is hungry instead of comfort sucking.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Mon May 02, 2011 11:54 am

Both my two have been sucky babies. Lilly had one from 3 weeks old - she used to scream every night from what we thought was hunger but we would keep making bottles (Lilly was formula fed) and as soon as the bottle went in her mouth she'd literally fall asleep like that *clicks fingers*. One night I gave in and gave her a dummy and it was like magic. I honestly dont think there is anything wrong with dummies, they are a godsend for some people if used in the right way.

Jake was 3 or 4 weeks when I gave him a dummy - he would also keep crying so I'd feed him, he'd keep latching and sucking but then get angry when the milk came out, he would pull off and scream. So that's when I thought it might be comfort sucking so I gave him a dummy and again it really helped. It doesn't seem to have affected :bf: either. I make sure that if he cries I always offer him a feed first to make sure he's not hungry. Though to be honest as others have said, he will keep spitting the dummy out if he is hungry.

He did take a little while to 'get the hang of it' so it did keep falling out for a while but now if he spits it out it usually means he's hungry so maybe that's the same in your case too? xx

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Faye was 24hrs old when she was given one (on medical advice) and it has never caused us any problems... she never suffered nipple confusion with it either :wink:

I agree the cherry teat ones are definitely best for keeping hold, I didn't realise there was a difference and tried her with a orthodontic one only for her to spit it out every 5 mins :roll: she still has hers for bedtime but I'm 50:50 whether we should keep hold of it till after her op in July and then take it away

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon May 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Oliver has had a dummy since about 3 weeks old. He started using me like a dummy, just holding my nipple in his nouth and screaming when I took it away. after a week of this I caved and got him a dummy. tried loads of different types and the tommy tippy cherry ones he liked the best. I spent the first 2 nights sleeping with my hand in his moses basker holding his dummy in, but he holds onto it very well now and only occasionally drops it as he is dozing off. once he is asleep it falls out and he isnt bothered then.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler