hf1

Breast feeding help/support please!

My avatar
AlterKnits
Clothie
Clothie

Breast feeding help/support please!

Postby AlterKnits » Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Well After bottle feeding my first 3 children, I was determined that I am going to breast feed this little chap!

He is the first of all 4 of them who has actually latched on, and taken an interest in my breasts, so much so that when I offered him a top up from a bottle that he looked at me like I was weird!! :giggle:

My milk well and truely came in yesterday, but sadly it seems that I can only use one of my breasts, my other has a lot of scarring and it seems that although I have milk in that breast I cannot get anything out :0(

I know that breast feeding from one breast is possible, but I have been in bits all day because I know it's going to be a lot of hard work, I have been toying with the idea of packing in all together, but I guess what I'm after is some inspiration that will help me stay on the breast feeding track, I want to at least give one sided breast feeding a go before I resign to the bottle.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Breast feeding help/support please!

Postby e586 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 pm

didn't want to read and run, though I don't have any experience with this, I am sure someone helpful will be along soon!!! good luck with it though and congratulations on your little one :) :)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Thu May 05, 2011 6:59 pm

I know someone who breastfed from one side. Don't think she had any problems. Her son just refused the other side for some reason!

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Thu May 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Ah.....I've just realised who you are :wink:

Have you tried persisting with feeding from the broken boobie? I know it can be frustrating but it may still be possible to feed your lo from that boobie.....it's quite normal to want to give up on that one if it's not performing as well as the "good" boobie but keep trying for a couple of days and see what comes of it. Hand expressing would probably be better as you wouldn't want baby to get upset or fractious because he's not getting his milk quick enough :)

If boobie is well and truly broken then of course it's possible to feed from only one side. You will be lop sided for a while (although I doubt anyone else will notice tbh) and the boobie will adapt to being the sole milk provider and your supply will match the demand.

You could always mix feed if you found full time feeding from one side to be too much for you. That way you can give your boobie a break but without totally giving up on :bf:

HTH

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Thu May 05, 2011 7:06 pm

You should have no problems feeding from one side exclusively. I fed from my right side, the left side just the supply dwindled and the demand wasn't there, neither LO or I preferred it as I was left handed and just the physiology of it, the right side worked much better and was easier for baby to latch and achieve repeated let down on.

It's basically the demand / supply. So long as the demand is there on the one side you're using, your body will keep up. I don't think it would be any harder feeding from one side rather than two as you are just putting all the demand on one side, rather than sharing it out.

Not really sure what we'll do this time. We co-sleep and I already know I'll have baby on my right hand side so I can feed her exclusively from that side during the night and I'll try to maintain supply in the left side. I did find it ok in the early days because I had sore nipples, so it was helping switching sides and giving each side a break. Lots of lansinoh helped there though!

My avatar
AlterKnits
Clothie
Clothie

Postby AlterKnits » Sat May 07, 2011 11:27 am

I dont think my body was designed for breast feeding :( What with one broken boob, small boobs anyway, flat nipples...

I've had 3 days of him struggling to latch on, and now when he does he's chocking on the milk because it's coming out so fast! :cry:

I feel like I'm trying so hard, but failing so miserably, and am starting to feel depressed about it :(

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Sat May 07, 2011 11:38 am

Don't get put off from breast feeding please :hug:

I think your doing brilliantly and you just need to be strong and battle on through your problems :hug:

I think you will be fine with your one boob, although I would keep trying on your other side too. The let ddown thing is a common issue and others I'm sure will be along soon to help you with that one :hug:

Xx

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat May 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Have you seen the kellymom website. It is really good and has lots of fab advice and information. Here's a link about fast let down, but there are a lot of other resources that are really useful too just in the main BFing section.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I found the first 3-4 days the hardest because that was when my supply was coming in and then the demand is so intense then.

La Leche resources are useful too.
http://www.llli.org/nb.html?m=0,0,0

It takes a lot of determination to get over problems, but if you've got the supply being built up ok on one side, you should be able to continue. I'd tend to have the opposite of fast let down, but I think the advice is normally to express some off first. There are lots of suggestions on that kellymom page about fast let down.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Sat May 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Lots of great advice.
I just want to reassure you that small breast and flat nipples will have no effect on you be able to feed or not. So don't worry about that! :D :hug: Often ladies wth flat nipples find that breastfeeding draws out the nipple slightly , so they may not stay flat for long. :wink: I also think smaller breast can have their advantages when breastfeeding as its easier to see whats going on/ how baby had latched.
Sounds like your doing really well.
Sorry I don't know your history ( in regards to your left breast and the scarring) . Have you been to any breastfeeding support groups ? I would also recommend going to a local breastfeeding support group and speaking to one of the supporters there. They may be able to help with the latch on the left side if that is something you would like to do.
If you are happy feeding on the right side like others said then thats great, as long as your feeding on demand and building up a good supply in that breast.
There are lots of mothers who feed from only one breast due to many reasons. Often mothers of twins have one side for one baby and one side for the other.
Keep us up dated on how you get on! :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler