hf1

Breast feeding help/support please!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Breast feeding help/support please!

Postby Frances » Sat May 07, 2011 2:53 pm

I thought my right boob was empty, but persevered and was able to squeeze out milk by day 4 - turned out I have mastitis in that breast. I'd suggest you ring La Leche League and perhaps see your GP before you stop feeding from that breast as you don't want to end the supply if it is there :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat May 07, 2011 3:49 pm

you can do it! don't be so hard on yourself. Breast feeding is hard work at first but i promise it will be so so worth it :hug: have you talked to HV or MW or GP at all ? also lots of support availabel online and is teher a local BF group nearby x

My avatar
AlterKnits
Clothie
Clothie

Postby AlterKnits » Sat May 07, 2011 6:03 pm

The reason why my right boob doesn't work is my own fault, I had multiple nipple piercings in the same nipple when I was a teenager, and I ended up with a bad infection, and well, basically had to reattach my nipple... so yeah, nothing aint coming out of that one :(

He's been pushing me away the past few times I've tried to get him to latch on and crying about it!

I've had a look at that website, but everytime I go on the links dont seem to work for me!!! DOnt know if it's just my computer??

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Sat May 07, 2011 6:06 pm

AlterKnits wrote:
I've had a look at that website, but everytime I go on the links dont seem to work for me!!! DOnt know if it's just my computer??

Do you mean Kellymom? Try typing that into google and the link should come up!
Is he pushing away from the right breast now?

My avatar
AlterKnits
Clothie
Clothie

Postby AlterKnits » Sat May 07, 2011 6:08 pm

my left one, the one that works, yeah :( Think he remembers his near drowning experiences this morning :(

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat May 07, 2011 6:16 pm

I have quite a strong let down in one boob and when he was really little he used to let go mid let down and let it squirt everywhere as he couldnt keep up with the speed of it. udes to have to pop a muslin under it during every feed as I soaked the bed and the sofa on numerous occasions :roll: Her has now gotten used to the speed and actually prefers that boob as he gets more quicker :giggle: Have you tried expressing a little first so that it doesnt drown him, or try nursing laying down with him on your tummy latching on from above. that should slow the force of the let down a little

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Sat May 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Have you tried expressing a little off before he gets mega hungry , that may help to get the fast flow out the way. So once he does latch he is overwhelmed my milk.

Does he seem hungry but not wanting to latch? My daughter has done this before, iv brought her close to my breast and expressed/squirted a little milk in . Just a reminder this is where the milk is , if she is hungry.

The other thing I would suggest is get yourself comfy on the bed or somewhere warm. Get into a reclined position or whatever is comfy, remove all of yours clothes on top and lie in on your chest. This skin to skin will help. I'm not sure if you have heard about the breast crawl , here is a video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULno8FAmt0c
Its not the best and ignore the stuff about medicated births ect
But this may help for him to latch. Worth a try. :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
samandsally
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby samandsally » Sat May 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi,
You have had loads of great advice and support already but just wanted to second the advice to try and lie down and have complete skin to skin contact. My wee boy was not keen on latching on at all, or in feeding in general to begin with. I had fed my daughter easily before so I was not expecting it! However stripping of him down to a nappy and me naked top half really made such a difference, and it was lovely to snuggle up in bed with him, calmed us both down. It only took a week of this at the most to get him happy to feed. After that he happily fed for a year. Hope you find a way that works for you both.

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:04 pm

You can feed from just one breast if you really need to. I had a lot of problems in one of my breasts which started because of bad latch. I ended up with a hole in my nipple because she was rubbing on it and then even with correct latch it was painful and not healing, and my milk supply seemed to be decreasing on that side. When I went to the doctors he thought it was maybe an infection and that's why it wouldn't heal so prescribed me a dose of antibiotics. It turned out it was an infection and the hole did clear up but unfortunately my milk supply has never really returned to what it was. I can still feed from that side but not very well and I always need to top up with the other side too. I'm still managing to feed Emily now and she's definately thriving so you can nurse with just one boob working properly. :hug: :hug:

red_dwarf wrote:Have you tried expressing a little first so that it doesnt drown him, or try nursing laying down with him on your tummy latching on from above. that should slow the force of the let down a little

scarlet wrote:Have you tried expressing a little off before he gets mega hungry , that may help to get the fast flow out the way. So once he does latch he is overwhelmed my milk.

WTS

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler