hf1

Hair Twirling

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Hair Twirling

Postby charliesam » Sun May 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Sam has always played with my hair when he is sleepy and going to sleep, he used to hold onto it when he was :bf: As time goes by he is twirling and twisting it harder and harder and putting enourmous knots in it i then can't get out :crossbaby: :crossbaby: I have v thin hair and quite alot comes out when he is twirling also when i pull the knots out. :x :x :x It can also be quite painful now.

we co-sleep and as soon as he becomes a bit restless he grabs for the hair to comfort himself and settle himself back to sleep- and this happens several times a night and so wakes me up and every morning I wake up looking like i have been dragged through a hedge backwards :roll: :roll:

I would like to try to get him to stop- but apart from cutting all my hair off :giggle: :giggle: i am struggling to discourage him- I have tried getting cross- he just gets upset then does it again, i have tried twirling his hair to show him it hurts- he gets v cross but still goes back to mine, i have tried keeping most of my hair over to the other side of the bed- he wakes crying because he can't find the hair :x

any suggestions??
Last edited by charliesam on Sun May 08, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Hait Twirling

Postby 123princesssammie » Sun May 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Could you get him a doll with hair :giggle:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sun May 08, 2011 7:49 pm

My friend had the same problem, the only thing she found to do was buy a wig for him to fiddle with instead. I'd say the same as Sam, maybe a boy doll with hair for him to twiddle instead? :hug: :hug: Ds1 used to try pulling at my hair so I put it in a ponytail in the end before he got used to doing it drove me mad coz my hair is also fine and it really hurt :evil:

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Sun May 08, 2011 7:54 pm

A doll with hair is what my mother had to get me as I had her almost bald....the doll didn't last long either :oops:
Maybe try and get him to use a soft comforter/taggie instead?

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Hair Twirling

Postby paintedclaws » Sun May 08, 2011 11:10 pm

No suggestions i'm afraid but i'll be watching the thread because Dan (now 9!) has always been a hair twiddler. I would wake with his finger stuck in my hair and a selection of knots too.

He hasn't stopped at all and has to have his hair cut very short or he'll twirl it until it looks like its been back-combed and then breaks off. :(

My avatar
tiger75
Clothie
Clothie

Postby tiger75 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm

I still twirl my hair (at 36!)when I'm tired or sick or concentrating. I used to twirl my Mum's hair when I was breastfeeding (until 2.5 ) and then my own hair so much I had bald patches supposedly. DD twirls my hair and when I take her hand off she starts on her own. I suppose it's a family tradition. :giggle:

A ponytail sounds like a good idea.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Thu May 19, 2011 1:10 pm

My brother used to do this - but with is own hair. he would end up pulling it out, not because he really meant to but because all the pulling made it weak and likely to break. He ended up with a significant bald patch. The only thing that worked was having his hair cut so short he couldn't get his fingers round it. I'm guessing you don't want to go for the pixie look, so a pony tail or a bun is probably a good idea until he gets out of the habit. If you're firm with him, it shouldn't take him long to understand that he musn't pull your hair.

Return to Baby and Toddler