hf1

We're going to give co-sleeping a go.!

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

We're going to give co-sleeping a go.!

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sat May 14, 2011 3:42 pm

firstly - thanks to all the lovely ladies to commented and offered advice on my previous post. :hug:

Hayley is still quite unsettled during the night, and is definitely looking for comfort, not necessarily food. :roll:

Soooo me and DH have decided to give co-sleeping a go!

my concerns/questions are...:
She is 7 months old - have we left it too late... will sleeping in our room disturb her more now?! :-?
Those of you who co-sleep... do you often disturb your LO's when you go up to bed?? (DH is quite heavy footed!!) :roll:

Also.... can you please give me some words of wisdom to convince DH that she wont still be sleeping with us when she's 16!!! :giggle:
oh - and what do you tell people who don't agree with co-sleeping?? I find it really difficult, as most of my peers think im a silly hippy, and def see us taking DD into our bed as taking a step backwards.
I have done loads of research, and completely agree with the studies and info on neuro-science and attachment. But coz no-one i know has done co-sleeping.....

thank you in advance!!!

Kirsty x x

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: We're going to give co-sleeping a go.!

Postby beffys » Sat May 14, 2011 4:12 pm

DH will be banging about in the morning trying to wake Ella up and still she sleeps. Always slept through his snoring as well, which can wake me up. When she wakes it's got more to do with her sleep cycle during the night than anything else (you know when they go into lighter sleep or there will be certain times at night they tend to wake or go into REM). The depth of sleep and rem patterns of a child are very different from an adult. Think there is more info about sleep patterns in The No Cry Sleep Solution, but I found that book good just in terms of comparing sleep development and patterns over a few months as things can change quite a lot as LO develops. If anything LO will rouse slightly and just snuggle towards us if we wake her at all.

Think it depends on the child really. I think some children prefer to have their own bed space or are very noisy so mum might put them into their own room earlier for that reason. I doubt you've left it too late if it suits your child to co-sleep.

I doubt very much she'll want to sleep in your bed with you when she's 16 :wink: :giggle: , but co-sleeping and taking advantage of an attached form of parenting, might well mean that you develop a better attached relationship with your daughter in the long term. We've found the attachment we have allows a lot of independence and confidence in our LO and she can come back for further reassurance if she needs it, so that applies as well to baby wearing and BFing as well, but just generally our overall attitude as parents. We'll be co-sleeping with a newborn soon in her side cot and Ella in the middle of our kingsize bed. She always had a cot or bed she would start the night off in, but is accepted into our bed during the night if she wants to. Sometimes that might be between 11 or 12 as we're getting into bed, sometimes anywhere between 4-7am. We have a kingsize bed which helps massively, though we co-slept fine when she was smaller on a three quarter double. When she was younger and still napping in the day or feeding to sleep it was usually in our bed if she was put down for a nap.

With people that don't agree with or don't understand co-sleeping if to the extent they are critical due to ignorance, I would tell them to mind their own business or actually and quote x, y, z, as to why it's good practice, common place, etc. If you've done the research yourself, you know the advantages involved.

DH took a while to come around to co-sleeping as he wasn't comfortable at first. It was only when I was really at risk of falling asleep holding LO, that he agreed to give it a go.

Dr Sears has some good info on sleep issues and co-sleeping safely. I think they have The Baby Sleep Book that I found really useful too as have a copy.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: We're going to give co-sleeping a go.!

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:52 pm

thank you for your info!
We did our first night last night, and DD was definitely more settled, and fell asleep with smiles and cuddles.... which made me feel so much better. I was much more aware of her different states of sleep during the night, but although i think i stirred more than normal i felt much better this morning! Also got H to sleep for a little longer... getting up at 6.15am as opposed to 5.25am!! Will def be continuing.
She has had naps in her cot as well, with me lying down with her on the bed, and withdrawing when she's asleep. I am finding that it is taking her a little bit longer for her to go off, but she is so much happier, and its so much less stressful, that i really dont mind!! I suppose it takes me a while to get off to sleep, so why would i expect her to do it instantly.

Kirsty x

Return to Baby and Toddler