Uti in kids?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Uti in kids?

Postby beffys » Sun May 15, 2011 3:41 pm

What are the symptoms of a uti in kids?

I guess I need to take a clean catch urine sample to GP to do a dip stick test. Ella's complaining of pain behind her pubic bone, has been grabbing at her crotch when we've been out but not seeming to need the loo, having very slight accidents in her pants which isn't normal for her, leaking after she's wiped her bum, I don't think she's voiding fully or able to void fully. She said earlier it was painful to pee. It's been intermittent over weeks really, but never with a fever. I thought uti's in kids are pretty rare.

I've had issues with bladder myself in the past and especially with dysfunctional voiding as a child. If it's not a bacterial infection I'd imagine it might have more to do with voiding dysfunction. It's not that she isn't toilet trained. She'll wake up during the night or early morning and take herself to the toilet.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Uti in kids?

Postby girlinleeds » Sun May 15, 2011 3:43 pm

pain when urinating, usually a fever, strong smelling wee, just not being herself, it does sound like she might have a uti, they are actually quiet common in children, won't hurt to get her urine dipped and at least you can rule it out if nothing else :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun May 15, 2011 3:48 pm

sounds like it could be, K had one when he was young, he didn't have a fever though.
:hug: for Ella

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:04 pm

They checked Aimie for one at the hospital when she had a really bad dose of gastro to rule out a UTI since she was holding on to her wee and seemed to be in pain whenever she went. They are really common in children so it is worth getting it checked :hug:

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:03 pm

It definately sounds like a UTI and they are pretty common in LOs especially girls, my niece had 4 or 5 episodes between 18mths and 3 years old, she was referred to a consultant who recommended my sister didnt use any soap to wash the area, to wash her body and hair then immediately get her out of the bath so she wasn't sitting in soapy water or to just shower her instead. No further UTIs since she started showering instead.

They can also be caused by LO's who wipe their own bottoms from back to front IYSWIM :oops: .

Hope she feels better soon x

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Mon May 16, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks, we got some antibiotics and will get results from her urine sample later in the week. Hopefully that will clear things up. She's fine, just a little grumpy.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 am

Ella is still complaining her bladder hurts and that it's sore to pee, both at home and nursery. That's despite her urine being clear last week and a course of antibiotics. Not really sure what to make of it. The accidents she is having are tiny leaks, barely anything and she goes for a big proper pee if her bladder is full. She does seem really uncomfortable. Will pop past GP when see MW this morning to see if should make an appointment to follow up or not. I don't really want them investigating further if it's unnecessary. My brother suggested could be because of bump, her acting up, but she's doing it at nursery as well so I don't think she's simply picking up on when I've asked her if it's sore. It's been going on for a month or so and seems to get worse, then better so like her bladder is inflamed or flaring up.

Return to Baby and Toddler