hf1

2 year olds and sleeping at night

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

2 year olds and sleeping at night

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed May 18, 2011 12:43 am

:x :x :x since we've moved here the twins have been 'playing' until 8 or 8.30 every night. They are in a room, sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Not ideal I know but its all we've got right now. Oh and we don't have another room to split them up.

They wake up roughly at 7am, and have a nap around midday for 1.5hrs to 2hrs long. They mainly go down at lunch time quickly. But night time is proving to be tricky, they've always gone down really easily and fall asleep straight away. But now they are running around, opening and closing the closet doors, playing with the blind and generally having a ball. They go into bed without a fuss, its just the going to sleep bit.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't want to drop the daytime nap, its the only time I get to myself at all. I also don't really want them going to bed any later than 7pm.

Any magic cures?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: 2 year olds and sleeping at night

Postby confusinglady » Wed May 18, 2011 6:09 am

Sorry but it may be a nap thing, maybe reduce the length of it or they may not need one every day perhaps every other? My dd1 was beginning to get to that awkward stage of needing a nap but not needing a nap at this age and had dropped it completely by 2 years 4 months when dd2 was born.

Or it could still be the change of house, area, heat. Or that they ve just realised they can, they re at that age.

Good luck

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:52 am

We're in pretty much the same boat with Archie. He is also on a mattress (i figured if he fell out he'd hurt himself less!) and goes to bed around 7.30, but gets up and plays on the landing then often falls asleep there too. He also has a long nap after lunch which I'm in no hurry to drop.

Not sure what to suggest, we just let him get on with it. DH got a bit tired of it last night and put him back in the cot, and he was furious about it so as soon as we took him out he settled in his bed right away!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:58 am

I would agree that it is possibly a nap issue. Tyler has recently dropped his daytime nap completely - he went from having 1.5-2 hours a day at lunchtime to nothing. He occasionally falls asleep in the car and has up to 45 minutes. On days where he does have a nap he finds it harder to fall asleep that night. On days where he doesn't have a nap he usually falls asleep within seconds of being in bed!

Perhaps if you want to keep the nap you could make bedtime a little later to compensate? xx

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed May 18, 2011 7:17 am

Isaac is older and still has 1.5 - 2hr nap every day after lunch. He wakes around 6.30am and goes to bed between 7 & 7.30pm so the nap doesn't seem to affect him.

When Jonah dropped his nap, we had to pt him to bed no later than 6.30pm :shock: because he was soooo tired and if he went later, he would play around for ages.

I know there's no help here in terms of what to do but it may not be nap related. What time do they go into their room? Can you give them a book to look through after you put them down and tell them to look at it before they go to sleep? Jonah will often look tthrough a book when he's not sleepy but goes straight off after.

Hope someone else can come up with something!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed May 18, 2011 7:25 am

I agree it could be the afternoon nap, could you try reducing it or cutting it out. When they first drop the day time nap they do get cranky but they soon get used to the new routine xx

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:56 am

I think this shows how different children are, Austin is younger than your 2 but he hasn't napped for a couple of months now except on the odd car journey because he just doesn't need it. If he does he won't sleep! Yesterday day he fell asleep in the car late and was still awake after 10 :shock: ! Maybe its all still novel and once they are used to everything they will sleep again. Otherwise I would sat try just 1hour naps in the day.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed May 18, 2011 10:46 am

Martha started dropping her nap aged 2 years 4 months but only "properly" dropped it a year later and will still have one on holiday if we force it (napped nearly every day in Florida, only once in 2 weeks in Spain). If she napped in the day she would often be real trouble to get down at night.

As you've moved it might be the novelty but sooner or later you have to choose between having that free time in the day or having a longer evening.

You have my sympathy, I well remember traipsing up and down stairs for an hour trying to settle hern and how I miss those naps!!!

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 am

Ruairidh dropped his daytime nap at 22months unless he's in the car or up very early. He gets up at 8.30am and goes to bed around 8pm. On Sunday he fell asleep at 6.30pm and slept til 8.30am!

When he first dropped it I found he didn;t need a daily nap but one every 3 days or so just to keep him going. I hate the inbetween stage!

He goes down no problem at night and often runs to his bed :giggle:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler