hf1

Who else do I have to report back to!?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Who else do I have to report back to!?

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 am

Oliver is a skinnie minne and doesnt generally put on more than 2oz a week. I got so sick of hearing at clinic that he was too light and I should be topping up with formula that I have stopped going :giggle: I weigh him roughly on my scales at home and he is now 11lb at 14 weeks. He is really long and skinny, hitting way past his developmental milestones, plenty of wet and dirty nappies and never stops feeding :giggle: I now couldnt give a fury rats behind what he weighs and the HV's can shove thier top ups where the sun cometh not!! He is going for his second lot of jabs today but it is with my HV who is fab and is allways telling me that they find their own lines :)

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: i have a small baby too he nearly two and off the bottom of the chart and i don't care now either

My avatar
twinny11
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby twinny11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:33 pm

I think James is following the second one and has been for a while but i'm just happy that he's putting on weight really and he's so alert when he's awake, wide beautiful blue eyes, and always has been so i've never been worried!
red_dwarf wrote:Oliver is a skinnie minne and doesnt generally put on more than 2oz a week. I got so sick of hearing at clinic that he was too light and I should be topping up with formula that I have stopped going :giggle: I weigh him roughly on my scales at home and he is now 11lb at 14 weeks. He is really long and skinny, hitting way past his developmental milestones, plenty of wet and dirty nappies and never stops feeding :giggle: I now couldnt give a fury rats behind what he weighs and the HV's can shove thier top ups where the sun cometh not!! He is going for his second lot of jabs today but it is with my HV who is fab and is allways telling me that they find their own lines :)
:giggle: He's the same and isn't a big gainer but I know he's growing lengthways he just never seems to fatten up and fill out the clothes before we have to move up a size because he's too long! But we adapted the kitchen scales the other day to put my mind at rest :giggle: I think he's going to hit his milestones ok as well, I was saying to the physio about how strong he is already and how he just sticks his little legs out so strong and stands there for ages and goes for a walk up daddy's chest and she told me not to worry about all that and focus on getting him to sit :roll: it's not my fault little monkey has other ideas, I doubt he's going to go wandering around the flat until he's mastered holding his head up... :roll:
beffys wrote:I'm not sure I'll be able to nod and smile so much this time with the HV. The thing that got me was at the hospital they wouldn't let you leave until they had seen you bath your baby and baby had to leave being carried in a car seat, like you're going to drop them on their head otherwise.
:hohoho:

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 pm

All I have to say is you sound like an amazing woman and mother! You know whats right for you and your baby and wont be bullied!!! I think your fab! :hug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:46 pm

Same as what Ant said. I have a small baby who was gaining on average 2-3oz a week. The HV (public health nurse as they are called here) had me absolutely tortured told me my milk was deficient & if she didn't gain a certain amount by next week they were admitting her to hospital. Went to my gp (who is a paed & all his kids were breastfed) who checked her over, weighed her nappy & spent a little time with her awake & he told me she was thriving & to stop agreeing to weekly weighing at the hv.

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:30 pm

I only ever have the bare minimum HV visits. I am usually quite honest and say this is how I do things, yes he BF's and co sleeps and we are happy with that. Yes I know the risks and I am prepared for them and try and make co sleeping as safe as possible. I think as long as you can show that you are aware of the issues they are less worried. My HV just said I'm glad you told me the truth so that I can give you info on how to do it safely. At DS2's 2 year check I said he doesn't sleep through the night but I am happy with that and no I don't want any help in making him sleep through.

Well done you though for being happy and comfortable enough in your choice not to be bullied into doing 'what ought to be done' do what is right for you and your family. :hug:

My avatar
twinny11
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby twinny11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

mangajude wrote:All I have to say is you sound like an amazing woman and mother! You know whats right for you and your baby and wont be bullied!!! I think your fab! :hug:
:cry: I always feel like i'm just muddling through trying to do the best I can! I think thats all you can do, being a mum is the best and hardest job I've ever had, I just never want to let him down but I think we all feel like that! :hug:

monsterm wrote:Same as what Ant said. I have a small baby who was gaining on average 2-3oz a week. The HV (public health nurse as they are called here) had me absolutely tortured told me my milk was deficient & if she didn't gain a certain amount by next week they were admitting her to hospital. Went to my gp (who is a paed & all his kids were breastfed) who checked her over, weighed her nappy & spent a little time with her awake & he told me she was thriving & to stop agreeing to weekly weighing at the hv.

:shock: honestly how can they get it so wrong! but I think that's the problem, like you said, your doctor spent some time with her which the HVs never seem to have much time to do, they look at the chart and be on their way but I found this really good article which I look at if ever I start doubting myself "Look at the baby,not the scale" http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html

and winnie I wish I was as confident as you, I just always feel like I need to explain myself to people and so I just avoid the confrontation!

Baba all comfy in his sling, I think I few glasses of alcohol free wine is in order, it is.......Wednesday after all, (had to check :giggle: ) :wine:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Nothing new to add but agree with all the lovely stuff said so already. You're doing a fab job and know what you're doing and I'm sure James is a happy boy being home with his mummy :hug:

ETA - I love your avatar piccie :D

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 am

I sympathise with you. My daughter was born with down's syndrome so we constantly have people visiting and we have to go to a lot of appointments. I'm getting used to it now though, now she is 14 months old. It was hard at first when all we wanted was to be left alone. She had problems gaining weight in the first 6 months, she just wasn't interested in milk. So they all seemed concerned and put her on special high calorie milk. But since she has been on solids, she loves her food.
You just have to take each day as it comes. I know it must be hard as you have n't had long with him to yourself. It will all get easier :)
:hug:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler