My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Taking toddler shopping

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:10 pm

We do our 'big' shop online!
Much easier with a toddler & baby.

However we do take DS to the local butcher/ bakers/ shops for few small bits in between the online shop.
Because we are only getting a few items - its much easier to keep him engaged & interested for the short period of time, whilst also getting him used to shopping and being out/about.

He loved our impromtu trip to the butchers for sausages & cheese - when he decided that is what he wanted to put in his new bag (Thomas bag from charity shop earlier that day!)
- he got to pick them, we gave him the money to hand over & he got to carry it all in his new bag!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Esmé is thankfully happy to carry things or launch them into the trolley for us. I don't think it'll be long until she gets fed up though!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:44 pm

I absolutly detest shopping with my little ones but then there are three of them under 5!!

I shop online and if we do have to go into the shops then i set out the rules before we go in...Kieren sits in the trolley and megan holds the side of it. (Darcie is normally in the sling). Niether of the hold the list or else we end up with arguments about how holds what bit of paper and it just complicates things...we take it in turns to get/find the items...but K never comes out the trolley...it wouldnt be worth the stress...i let him pick the items that are up on the shelf so he can reach from the trolley and then he hands them to megan to put into the trolley...i make it into a bit of a team game type thingi which they love! But i only ever grab a few things...the thought of a big shop fills me with dread :-?

Amanda, i love the picture list idea!! :thumbsup:

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:52 pm

i usually drop A off to my mums on the way to shopping lol! but if not possible we have lots and lots of snacks for all the way round! food is the way to keep him in the trolly :giggle:

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ImisMummy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Today we tried her with a little trolley and she was amazing. She had her own play food which she pushed around. I think she was so happy she was allowed to walk she didnt wander once and didnt get anything off the shelves.

There wasnt even too much ankle smashin (she only ran into one person and a wall!)

Quite proud of my not so little girl :D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:41 pm

aww thats so nice :D

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:05 am

megansmummy wrote:
Amanda, i love the picture list idea!! :thumbsup:

I get India to draw a list before we go and then she can get her items as we go round.

I rarely go shopping as I get most of it online but if I have to go with them then India helps with the scanning (as we go round) and Max just smiles at everyone :giggle:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler