hf1

Toddler and baby room-sharing hints and tips?

My avatar
william_and_matilda
Clothie
Clothie

Toddler and baby room-sharing hints and tips?

Postby william_and_matilda » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Actually, I suppose DS will be a preschooler, officially.

We have a two bedroom house and once DD is securely sleeping through the night, she'll go into DS's room. I'm concerned about managing bedtimes (DS sleeps an hour or so less a night, and at the mo is going to sleep later.) He likes to talk himself to sleep, an hour at the moment, so not sure how that will impact on her.

I'm basically looking for any tips, words of wisdom, or experiences you'd like to share! :D

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Toddler and baby room-sharing hints and tips?

Postby Joaninha » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Our two have shared a bedroom for the last two years or so, and when we first moved them together, our HV suggested we tell our oldest not to worry about the noise the youngest was making, or if he woke up, that Mummy or Daddy would come and sort the other one out. Don't know how, but it has worked so far... We are moving Jaime (DS1) to his own room, but that is because he complains that his brother is too noisy :giggle:
For the most part, once the youngest is asleep, he's out, though...
Good luck!

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:27 pm

will be reading this thread with interest. our two currently have their own rooms but due to dd waking up so much, i'm starting to think she just wants company so maybe wouldn't cause such a fuss in the night if she's in with her brother rather than on her own...so wondering about trialling them together.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:35 pm

I have never done this so have no advice to offer but personally, I would be very cutious about leaving a baby under the age of 1 in a bedroom with a toddler/pre-schooler for safety reasons.

Hope you work out a solution :D

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:49 pm

tiyuricc wrote:will be reading this thread with interest. our two currently have their own rooms but due to dd waking up so much, i'm starting to think she just wants company so maybe wouldn't cause such a fuss in the night if she's in with her brother rather than on her own...so wondering about trialling them together.

My friend has recently done this for the same reason and it worked wonders, her 2nd is much younger as well.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:33 pm

We've just moved DS into dd's room (dd is 27m) and so far so good, she leaves him alone and he doesn't wake her if he wakes as we are quick to go in and feed him etc, she keeps him up A bit at bedtime as she is a bit loud.

No problems so far, we leave their door open so come morning dd comes to wake us up and doesnt stay in her room whether DS is awake or asleep lol

Sarah x

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:45 am

We haven't done this, but been wondering about doing so. Our daughter is currently still in with us but with baby number 3 nearly here we were thinking of putting her in with our son. But it's mainly safety reasons that we're concerned with more than anything. Our son is currently in a cot still but will be going into a bed very very soon, in the next couple of weeks. Once he can get out of bed, I'm wondering if he'll start throwing stuff into my daughter's cot or something.....

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:13 am

We will eventually have to move Darcie in with Megan but Megan is older (4.5yrs old) but i too worry about how it will all work out...although i dont plan on doing it untill Darcie is old enough to sleep on the bottom bunk with a bed guard :)

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 am

jennyclaire wrote:But it's mainly safety reasons that we're concerned with more than anything. Our son is currently in a cot still but will be going into a bed very very soon, in the next couple of weeks. Once he can get out of bed, I'm wondering if he'll start throwing stuff into my daughter's cot or something.....

This would be a huge concern for me too - I could never take that chance.

megansmummy wrote:We will eventually have to move Darcie in with Megan but Megan is older (4.5yrs old) but i too worry about how it will all work out...although i dont plan on doing it untill Darcie is old enough to sleep on the bottom bunk with a bed guard :)

I'd be much happier with this, an older child minimises the dangers I was thinking of and an older baby too is safer.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler