hf1

Swimming with your toddler.

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Swimming with your toddler.

Postby CherryPie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I haven't been swimming alone with Reuben since he was little (and not mobile!). We usually go with my mum so when we get out I get Reuben dressed whilst she sorts herself out then she takes Reuben and I get myself sorted. I'm taking him by myself this afternoon and I just wondered what the best thing to do is about getting dressed after swimming? Would I be best getting Reuben dressed first then myself? He's such a monkey though and often runs off at any chance he gets and I don't want to enbarassment of running after him half naked :oops: :giggle: I was thinking of taking his stroller in and praying he stays in it. Has anyone had success with this? Any tips will be gratefully received! :wave:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Swimming with your toddler.

Postby monsterm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:24 pm

A friend has twins & a toddler & she brings her stroller. She dresses the toddler first & puts him in the stroller & then sorts everyone else out.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 pm

I guess every pool changing room set up is different and our local one is very good, facilities wise.
I go swimming most weeks on my own with Erin and it's no bother at all.
The centre we use has ~8 family sized changing rooms, set up with changing tables in each one, and several with safety chairs.
Usually when we get out, I'll nab one that has both. I get Erin undressed and wrapped up in her towel and laid out on the changing table. If she's being particularly wiggly, I've got a book & a couple of bath toys in my bag which usually keep her occupied enough while I quickly get dried and half dressed (knickers, bra & T-shirt).
I then dry & dress her, then sit her on the towel on the floor (if it's clean) or in the saftey seat (if it's dirty) with a drink & a biscuit, which keeps her entertained till I'm fully dressed & we're ready to go.
I've never had the need to take her buggy with us, but I guess that would be an option if there were no safety chairs. Would you be able to strap him into the stroller to keep him in one place?
Or are there any changing cubicles big enough for both of you, so that you could lock you both in & keep him contained that way?

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Leo is always starving after swimming. So I find it best to take his swimming costume off, wrap him in a towel and sit him on a bench with a sandwich or nibbles (where we go they have family rooms where the stalls are big with a bench inside). Then I get changed, then dress him. If they don't have a family changing room, then there is usually a little playpen in the female changing room.

My word of warning: Do not put anything near him that he can throw on the floor. Leo loves to through my dry clothes on the wet floor. :roll:

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:44 pm

I take DD swimming every week and have perfected what works for us now. I take off her swimming costume and put her in a hooded poncho towel. I give her a rub and then sit her on a bench to eat a few rice cakes (she's always starving after swimming). She finishes her snack while I get dressed. Once I'm dressed, I sort her out. She's usually pretty much dry by the time I'm dressed anyway so it's usually just a case of ptting her nappy and clothes on.

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 pm

I tried the food thing and it was a great success! I got him into his nappy and vest and wrapped him in a dry towel to sit and eat his rice cakes and then got dressed myself before finishing dressing him. Was much less stressful than I imagined. Thanks for the advice! :)

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 am

Glad you had a good time :) When DH and I took both children to the pool, I took DD in the female changing room and DH took DS to the male one, we figured it would be easier than me changing both of them. As it turned out there was nowhere in the male room to set a baby down, except the boggin floor, so DH struggled while there were playpens, highchairs and toys in the female one! The snack advice is good, I must use that next time so I don't have a half-nakey toddler running round like crazy :giggle:

Return to Baby and Toddler