hf1

Q bout red book and breast feeding x

My avatar
donna4
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Q bout red book and breast feeding x

Postby donna4 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi, whilst pregnant I heard that when you get baby's red book from health visitor that the weight chart should be different if you breastfeed.
Is this true or is it still one chart whether baby's bottle or breast fed?
My ds is 3 weeks today and bf just thought I'd ask as I want him monitored properly for his weight xxx

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Q bout red book and breast feeding x

Postby aimeet » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:18 pm

I heard that it is for ff babies but tell your hv that you bf and maybe they can give you some advice about it. Well done on the bf! :wine: :bf:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

With DS - his weight was plotted on a BF chart
But with DD - my health visitor (the same one as with DS) says they don't have them anymore!???! :-?

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

AFAIK they are all plotted on the same chart, which is based on ff.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

The newer red books should have the WHO charts in them however they refused to throw all the old books so it really depends on if your area is on the old or new stock. You can view and print the newest ones here.
http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/child-health/res ... arly-years

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:33 pm

My hv said they are now joint charts and a separate bf one is no longer required, I wasn't sure if she was right.

My avatar
donna4
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby donna4 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Ok thankyou all for your replys, thought I'd ask as I wanted his weight gain to be monitored properly :)
Mines the new book any way, thankyou again xxxx

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 pm

The new books have charts that say that they're based on the WHO charts... but they are quite different. Personally, I downloaded the WHO charts off of their website as I know they haven't fiddled with the numbers the way the govt/DoH has done.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Mira's red book has a WHO chart in and this is different to the BF baby chart that Kacie had in hers. It has a much slower weight growth than either the FF or the BF chart from K's book, so I'm thinking that it is the official WHO chart. Also it goes right up to 4 or 5, can't remember off hand, not just the 12 month chart in the older book. It really winds me up actually that K was plotted on the BF baby chart till she was 12 months, but now appears to have dropped right down the centile lines as she's being plotted on the old charts from 12+. According to the chart in M's book K is still on the same line or even slightly above it due to the difference between the older BF baby chart and the newer WHO chart.

Hope that makes sense :oops: I should be asleep :giggle:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler