hf1

Anyone else's LO only sleep in their own bed/cot?

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Anyone else's LO only sleep in their own bed/cot?

Postby CherryPie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:37 am

Lots of my friends lo's go to stay at their grandparents for the night or with aunties and uncles but Reuben won't sleep anywhere but his own cot. Is there anyway of tackling this? I would like him to be able to stay the night with my mum a couple of times before bump is due (plenty of time yet) for practice! He knows my mum really well as he see's her most days and she looks after him whilst I'm working so her house isn't unfamiliar it's just he refuses to sleep in the cot she has for him their. She sometimes can put him down in it in the day but only if he's already fallen asleep in the car or in her arms. He's really good at bedtimes with me, I put him down awake and he falls to sleep no problem so it's just a problem a hers... :-?

My avatar
KittyMay
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Anyone else's LO only sleep in their own bed/cot?

Postby KittyMay » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:53 am

Katie is the same unfortunately, she is fantastic at home, she will go to bed no problems, most of the time. However, if we are on holiday or staying with family bedtime is a disaster and that is when me and dh are there too, she hasn't been left yet.
The only way we can get her to sleep when away from home is if she is in bed with us. As soon as we get home, normal bed time resumes without any problems at all.
I'm really worrying how things will go when I have the new baby, he is due in 5 weeks and I am not able to have the home birth I so desparately wanted and have been told I will be in hospital for sometime until baby is able to feed properly.
I will watch this post with interest and hopefully someone will come up with some good suggestions for you. I think it may be too late for us though lol.
Wendy x

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:46 am

We have only ever gone away in our caravan and he has to sleep with us in our very tiny double bed :-? was ok when he was small! Hopefully someone might have some tips. I've tried taking his bedding from his cot and using that but with no luck. But I'm already worrying about when I'm in labour if he won't sleep at my mum's then!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 am

CherryPie wrote:We have only ever gone away in our caravan and he has to sleep with us in our very tiny double bed :-? was ok when he was small! Hopefully someone might have some tips. I've tried taking his bedding from his cot and using that but with no luck. But I'm already worrying about when I'm in labour if he won't sleep at my mum's then!

Could your mum come to yours when you are in labour instead?

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:11 am

pinksalmon2001 wrote:Could your mum come to yours when you are in labour instead?

I'm planning on having another home birth and our walls are so thin along with having a small house I know I'll keep him up and I don't want to frighten him as he won't be old enough to understand why his mummy is in so much pain!

If I go into labour in the day and its quick it won't be a problem but I'm expecting this one to come in the middle of the night like his brother :lol:

My avatar
KittyMay
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby KittyMay » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:15 am

CherryPie wrote:We have only ever gone away in our caravan and he has to sleep with us in our very tiny double bed :-? was ok when he was small! Hopefully someone might have some tips. I've tried taking his bedding from his cot and using that but with no luck. But I'm already worrying about when I'm in labour if he won't sleep at my mum's then!

We have a caravan too. We recently bought a 6 berth after having a 4 berth, thinking it would give us all abit more room and each child would have their own bed, but Katie still won't sleep on her bunk, she gets out a million times, terrorising Anna who is already fast asleep, or the poor dog. Each night she will just end up coming to bed with us. Luckily on this van the bed is a good size, wish our bed at home was the same size lol. Not too sure what we will do when we first go away with baby as I will want him in our bed aswell. Hopefully, Katie will have settled down by then, as unfortunately I don't think we will get to go away in it this year once baby is here.
I really hope you manage to sort something out with your lo.
Wendy x

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:23 pm

don't wanna read and run...

have you tried putting his to sleep at your mums yourself, as you would in your house?? and then you stay the night, so its as close to being at home? Is the cot your mum has very similar? our DD wouldn't sleep in a travel cot, so we bought a little pop up one, and she loves that when she's away from home!!! Oh - and does your mum def keep to your routine? Only asking because my mil does..... but mine seems to think she knows everything better than me, and therefore DD didnt settle well until i laid the law down with mother!!!

Kirstyx x

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 am

mummy_goose1 wrote:don't wanna read and run...

have you tried putting his to sleep at your mums yourself, as you would in your house?? and then you stay the night, so its as close to being at home? Is the cot your mum has very similar? our DD wouldn't sleep in a travel cot, so we bought a little pop up one, and she loves that when she's away from home!!! Oh - and does your mum def keep to your routine? Only asking because my mil does..... but mine seems to think she knows everything better than me, and therefore DD didnt settle well until i laid the law down with mother!!!

Kirstyx x

I haven't actually tried that Kirsty - good idea! The cot at mum's is really similar to his one at home. As for my mum keeping to the routine I'm not so sure :roll: :giggle: She probably isn't so I guess I can show her how we do bedtime if I stay for the night because I know in the day she doesn't 'put him down' for his naps like we do - she tends to rely on him falling asleep in the car or buggy or cuddleing him to sleep (I think she's secretly loves doing that!) She's a lot softer than I am with him and he plays on it a bit lol. I'll definately give that a go though. Thanks :thumbsup:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:21 am

CherryPie wrote:
pinksalmon2001 wrote:Could your mum come to yours when you are in labour instead?

I'm planning on having another home birth and our walls are so thin along with having a small house I know I'll keep him up and I don't want to frighten him as he won't be old enough to understand why his mummy is in so much pain!

If I go into labour in the day and its quick it won't be a problem but I'm expecting this one to come in the middle of the night like his brother :lol:

I had a home birth and my parents looked after dd upstairs, it was early evening but they gave her a bath which she loves and played with her quietly, dp said I was quite loud but mum and dad barely heard me. I had a quick labour though 3 1/2 hrs

Can you try putting him to bed at your mums? Not sure if you've tried that? Xxx amber will sleep in different places but it's a real struggle sometimes if it's not me/dp and she is 27 months :(

Return to Baby and Toddler