hf1

First words?

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

First words?

Postby CherryPie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am

How old were you LO's when they starting saying words? Reuben says duck "uck" when we go up the lake but other than dada and muma thats about it. Any thing else is "gah!" People have been telling me their children were saying lots more at 16 months... :lookround:

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: First words?

Postby justme123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 am

George was 16 months old when his little brother was born, and I remember that "baby" was one of his first words. We also did baby signing which increased his effective "vocabulary", and he used a mixture of words and signs for some time.

Funny, but I think George's first word was duck too, except he said "ack ack" :-)

My avatar
babiesgalore+1more
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby babiesgalore+1more » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:05 am

My eldest son said his first word at 10months and was making 3 word sentences by 14 months but my eldest daughter could only say probably 4 words at 18 months, she walked confidently alone at 10 months though and my eldest boy didn't even attempt one unaided step until 17 months though and couldn't walk confidently until 18 and a half months. I can't stop any of them talking now!!! I also have a friend whose little boy didnt say ANY recognisable words at 2 and he can now talk fine at 4 so it's just a case of trying to get them to repeat as much as poss and talking to them lots. Also in my personal experience my carried children learned to talk earlier than my pushchair children.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Penny says 'dat' for cats dogs etc, dada and mumma. She took ages to do mumma but I know a little lad who is over 2 and still only has 2 words- he squeals and shouts but hardly talks at all- all learn at a different pace so really don't worry x :hug:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 pm

My 2 were older than Reuben and were around 2 before they were using 3 word sentences. They all do it at different times so relax - in no time at all you'll not be able to get a word in!

Jonah was 21mths when Isaac was born and he'd been rubbing my bump saying baby & sometimes baby there.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 pm

dd is 16 months. She doesn't speak at all really. But I'm certain she can, she just chooses not to.

For example, if she wakes in the night she'll yell 'mum mum mum' but if you ask her to say mum, she'll just look at me and refuse to say it. With most things if you ask her 'can you say....' she'll repeat it, but she won't use the words herself.

She can sing the middle bits of twinkle twinkle with recognisable words and tune, she does 'up above the world so high' and 'like a diamond in the sky'.

Each child has their own talents. dd's certainly isn't talking. It may well be singing as i can't understand how she could sing twinkle twinkle recognisable by anyone who hears before she could speak a single word.

I've seen a child who's talent was speaking. On her first birthday while waiting for our swimming lesson she said to me 'emmy's birthday today. babba's swimming, babba's swimming [babba being the name of another baby in the swimming class]. go home, lunch with daddy'.

I expect the way were' going dd will be well beyond 2 before she's at that level of conversation, but I'm not concerned in the least.
Last edited by tiyuricc on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, I do wish people wouldn't give me such a strange look when I say he isn't saying words properly yet. Like you've all said they all master things at all sorts of different ages I just wanted some reasurrance that he wasn't being reaaaaally slow :lol: ! I seem to remember my cousin being able to say sentances at 18 months but that's the only experience I have with babies. And my mum couldn't remember about me and my brother. He'll start talking when he's ready I guess :thumbsup:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Annabel's first word was 'shoes' followed by 'uh oh' :giggle:

She's 21 months now and has a very big vocabulary (according to other parents I know) but she doesn't really speak in 'sentances' as such - she will say things like "Daddy helmet, ride bike" and "Mummy hair wet shower" and has done for a few weeks now. She literally learns a few new words a day though, while at 16 months she wasn't really saying much.

As others have said they all learn things at different speeds - Annabel didn't roll until 7 months, and didn't walk until 13 months, and still doesn't really run at 21 months, yet she is a whizz with sorting stuff, jigsaw puzzles etc - follows her Mum there!

Return to Baby and Toddler